Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Electric/Hybrid
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

When we discuss battery weight we need to be cognizant of the fact that you will still need a 12V house bank so the 48V propulsion bank may weigh 520 pounds but then the house bank may be another 130 or so pounds making for approx 650 pounds of batteries on a 28 foot boat. If you are real energy conscious you could get away with a single 65 pound house bank.

With diesels we also have fuel capacity weight, which is not very light weight. A 20 gallon tank when full would weigh about 140 pounds +/-.. So 175 pound engine + 140 fuel = 315 pounds.

This makes an 8 cell GC2 bank about 200 pounds heavier not including the weight of the electric motor and gear which can be 100 pounds +/- with wire mounts, motor etc...... So on the O'day 28 it is conceivable the the electric motor conversion ads about 300 +/- pounds over diesel to the boat. If properly placed not a huge deal..
davidpm and zeehag like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Nice thread.

It's a bummer because electric motor and controller technology is well developed. The motor controllers have taken advantage of continuous development in the semiconductor industry to make use of the latest Mosfets/IGBT's and microcontrollers.

The motor and controller are high efficiency and have basically zero moving parts besides the shaft and bearings which is ideal for a harsh environment.

But...batteries stink. The fact that lead acid still enters the discussion despite being invented in 1859 is indicative of the problem. Better battery technology exists (lithium) but has a host of caveats (including cost).

The bummer is that electric would be wonderful for a sailboat for a number of reasons. Besides reliability potential (no moving parts), they come on instantly. Great for an "oh crap" blown tack.

And they're quiet. Every sailor appreciates that. I love my yanmar but the best moment sailing is the moment I shut it off.

There is absolutely massive incentive from a huge number of industries for better battery technology, hopefully it comes through eventually, but I don't exactly expect it. I think we're going to have to stick to Diesel for a while to come.
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-02-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

This company has been doing some conversions near you in S.Cal., there might be some info on their website that would be helpful. I tried driving an electric Ranger pick-up back in the day, I liked it but range and battery weight were problems, and running the air conditioning or heater was sure to leave you walking.
Electric Options
Old 03-02-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Even with better battery technology, such as lithium, you still have to put the amps back in the bank. That's the biggest roadblock.
zeehag likes this.
Old 03-04-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Even with better battery technology, such as lithium, you still have to put the amps back in the bank. That's the biggest roadblock.
I mean you can't "recharge" your fuel tank. You have to pull up to a specialized station to fill up - something that's already impossible in remote areas or offshore.

So if the energy storage issue is addressed, and you can carry around the equivalent electrical energy of your gas tank (or a sizeable fraction of it) then electric becomes a fantastic solution for most people.

It's still not perfect because you can't add extra "tanks" as easily (you can add batteries but the downside is that a dead battery takes the same size and weight as a charged one).

Personally I had my best season last year and went through less than half a tank (15 gallons) the whole time. If I could store the equivalent of 5 gallons, I'd be all set. Worst case I'd have to pull up to a dock once a season for an overnight recharge. Not a big hassle at all.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-01-2014
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651

I'm in the process of installing a electric drive. I have to get past how to mount it and the right ratio for my boat. I fear it will be a trial and error process there but mounting will be relatively easy. I also need to figure out how to install some type of thrust bearing to keep the prop shaft in one place. not moving back and forth through the stuffing box.
Old 05-01-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

what system? what boat? they sell thrust bearings in many places...

the place I like is electric motorsport.com they also sell a number of pulleys, belts, chains, sprockets etc to work out the right ratio

I still dream of this jajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

solar panels are a must on a boat with electric propulsion, as is wind power. everything possible to restore charge must be used including a back up genny. there is no diesel electric option such as forklifts and some others use... this should be developed as a diesel electric option would recharge batteries as you run, instead of having to have separate solar and wind charging constantly.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 05-01-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... there is no diesel electric option such as forklifts and some others use... this should be developed as a diesel electric option would recharge batteries as you run, instead of having to have separate solar and wind charging constantly.
Beta brought out an electric diesel hybrid just after we did our repower two years ago.

Beta Marine | Marine Diesel Propulsion Engines and Generating Sets | Greenline | Inland Waterways Hybrid Propulsion Engine

When we considered straight electric, the manufacturers said that solar and wind were not enough to recharge the engine to get more than another hour or so out of it. That's what stopped our conversion. When we retire it may be an option again.
christian.hess likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-01-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yup

there are quote a few diesel electric options out there right now but very very expensive

my last plan was to have wind and solar setup in 48volts...to ever so slowly replenish the small 4 battery bank

again my plan for electric was to use only for in out marina and anchor, 1-2 hour run time max

use a stepdown converter from the 48 volts to 12volts for the house "batteries" and useage

in any case...just a dream at this point

my issue was I wanted a self sufficient system and not invest in the very expensive chargers since marina charging was out of the question.

anyways hopefully in the next 5 years something else pops up

Tags
electric inboard , recharging , repowering , solar panels

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.