Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Electric/Hybrid
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

I am one of the most consistent critics of electric power for exactly these reasons. Despite that I actually had a boat with an electric motor. The reality is that the energy density of batteries just isn't sufficient for anything but in and out of the harbor. If that's all you need then go for it, but it isn't a replacement for a diesel.

Brian,

There are some very good numbers from the manufacturers of towed generators. Basically until the boat hits 4kn there isn't much power generation going on, after that there is a pretty steep increase in power generation.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-02-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I am one of the most consistent critics of electric power for exactly these reasons. Despite that I actually had a boat with an electric motor. The reality is that the energy density of batteries just isn't sufficient for anything but in and out of the harbor. If that's all you need then go for it, but it isn't a replacement for a diesel.

Brian,

There are some very good numbers from the manufacturers of towed generators. Basically until the boat hits 4kn there isn't much power generation going on, after that there is a pretty steep increase in power generation.
I am aware of the numbers from the manufacturers of towed generators. I sell the Ampair/Aquair line and they are effective producing about one amp of current per knot of boat speed. So at 5 knots you get about 5 amps with a hit of maybe 1/4 knot of boat speed unless the boat is larger.

What I want to know is what do electric drives return in regen mode into a 48 volt bank on say a 30' or 35' monohull? In the real world, not a manufacturer's spec sheet number.

I have an electric outboard on my dinghy and a solar panel for charging it whether it is at the dock or in use. I just fail to see how it can translate to a cruising (not daysailed) boat.
Old 05-02-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Agreed. I did say that electric can make sense for one who daysails or only is away from shorepower for a few days.

But for those travelling farther afield it doesn't work.

And I have yet to see actual regen stats anywhere.
hmmm I have seen quite a few builds and repowers were they posted regen stats...on those displays that came with the kits

my thought was that regen actually make sense for voyagers and ocean goers over long periods of time versus say a coastal cruiser that doesnt have access to shore power

for example somoene doing a non stop circumnav or a san fran to hawaii trip where you only use the engine a few times to me electric with regen makes more sense here, since basically you will be regenerating the whole way...

(the regen stats I read up where that most boats started around 4knots putting back into the system, and that if they used a little throttle it would help reduce the motors drag and the prop would spin up easier too...)

anything over 5-6 knots and the amps put back in increased substantially...mostly dependant on prop type.

its like wind power...youll get more wind in steady trades than you will at the marina in bewteen all the boats and structures etc...

my thought was that regen, on long voyages makes more sense, since you dont use the motor untill you get to port or need to anchor etc...

again it comes down to preferences...obviously if you are the kind that motor sails if speeds goes under 5 knots, electric is not for you...

if you have access to shore power and are coastal hopping and marina hopping I dont see where having such a big bank is either necessary or worth comparing to conventional fuel

as when doing so with diesel or gas you never completely use up you tanks either...we didnt for sure when coastal cruising...

the ongoing dilema has always been that in non stop runs electric has maybe 10% the range that conventional boat with inboard tanks has...but if you use it sparingly and have ways of recharging it can and has been done...

those were my thoughts

also I liked the small battery bank conversions for the same reasons, say 4 batteries instead of 8 or 12 or 16...because if depleted it will be quicker to recharge...not only that but he initial expense and cost of chargers etc...goes down exponentially

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

Brian,

this is what I read up too

Old 05-02-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
hmmm I have seen quite a few builds and repowers were they posted regen stats...on those displays that came with the kits

for example somoene doing a non stop circumnav or a san fran to hawaii trip where you only use the engine a few times to me electric with regen makes more sense here, since basically you will be regenerating the whole way...

(the regen stats I read up where that most boats started around 4knots putting back into the system, and that if they used a little throttle it would help reduce the motors drag and the prop would spin up easier too...)

anything over 5-6 knots and the amps put back in increased substantially...mostly dependent on prop type.

its like wind power...youll get more wind in steady trades than you will at the marina in bewteen all the boats and structures etc...

my thought was that regen, on long voyages makes more sense, since you dont use the motor untill you get to port or need to anchor etc...

if you have access to shore power and are coastal hopping and marina hopping I dont see where having such a big bank is either necessary or worth comparing to conventional fuel

also I liked the small battery bank conversions for the same reasons, say 4 batteries instead of 8 or 12 or 16...because if depleted it will be quicker to recharge...not only that but he initial expense and cost of chargers etc...goes down exponentially

When you use a little throttle you aren't generating power but using it.

Small banks? 4 12 volt 100 AH batteries to create a 40 volt bank is only 100 AH @ 48 volts - probably less than an hours running at slow speed.

Again though reading specs is rather useless. What has anyone actually achieved using regen in the real world? How much is put into the batteries at 4, 5, or 6 knots allowing for inefficiencies that exist when charging? You always have to put more in than you remove from batteries. Who is actually doing this with reasonable results?
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
When you use a little throttle you aren't generating power but using it.

Small banks? 4 12 volt 100 AH batteries to create a 40 volt bank is only 100 AH @ 48 volts - probably less than an hours running at slow speed.

Again though reading specs is rather useless. What has anyone actually achieved using regen in the real world? How much is put into the batteries at 4, 5, or 6 knots allowing for inefficiencies that exist when charging? You always have to put more in than you remove from batteries. Who is actually doing this with reasonable results?
its what the guys using it and making them recomended...it helps counteract the drag created by the bigger props...its like clutch drag...it helps fight the initial resistance created by the prop and the motor isnt dragging per se like it would off...

electric motors have a lot of initial resistance depending on the windings...so the guys building them said to turn it on ever so slightly and then after you gain speed regen kicks in so no you arent using more than you are putting in if you know what you are doing...

Id recomend searching again..I did and got LOTS of usefeul info from many sources..

the one with the regen speeds was something like 2 or 3 amps at 6 knots or so...so for passages I find that ok...

I did not here on sailnet for example...I even had my electric islander 36 thread...that really didnt go anywhere as people loved to always recomend a 50hp diesel in a 30 footer! which I found hilarious btw...

regarding the small banks you are right the simple calculations I got from heavy duty lead acid simple batteries was around 45min to an hour at 3/4 throttle and around 2-3 at 1/4 throttle or high idle...

for me though that was ok...I didnt need more

in the end though I havent done it down here so I really cant say for sure how it all would of turned out

I did however get very involved in the yahoo electric forum, cloud electric or something like that, even people in other countries with diy builds and the like, etc...

there is A LOT of info out there

Old 05-02-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

you can jack your jaws all day here or you can go to one sailor who has done the electric conversion on a long range sailcruiser...lol..and you also do not attend to fact that torqueedo has a solar charger which when you use the torqueedo is able to recharge the battery..what a concept... geez, guys, go to fb, pitt bolinate, he is so proud of his electric drive he will surely tell all about it.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-02-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

As a technician I look at the losses. Electric motors have large losses, as large as the generator, storage is ineficient, with all the losses I'll stick with diesel. In an emergency where you need the auxilary for 2 or 3 days your electric is not going to cut it. Good luck, and fair skies.
Old 05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you can jack your jaws all day here or you can go to one sailor who has done the electric conversion on a long range sailcruiser...lol..and you also do not attend to fact that torqueedo has a solar charger which when you use the torqueedo is able to recharge the battery..what a concept... geez, guys, go to fb, pitt bolinate, he is so proud of his electric drive he will surely tell all about it.

hes not the only one...there are quite a few out there

I agree people have and are effectively sailing like this but just saying so isnt what mitiempo for example is wanting to know...

he wants real facts and results...sometimes its hard to get

I know I hit many dead end posts and forums regarding electric

Old 05-02-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Zee,

Then look at what Lagoon did. With a huge budget, massive technical support, and major commercial interest they spent years trying to get it right and then replaced (or offered to) all the electric drives they installed.

There are usage profiles that electric drives work for, some where electric is a very clear winner. But that doesn't describe most cruisers, most weekend gunkholers. It is however the ideal option for inshore racers and daysailors.

Tags
electric inboard , recharging , repowering , solar panels