SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electric/Hybrid (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electric-hybrid/)
-   -   Repowering with an electric engine? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electric-hybrid/120489-repowering-electric-engine.html)

CaptainRahnn 02-01-2014 02:45 PM

Repowering with an electric engine?

My engine is getting old and was wondering if anyone has installed an inboard electric engine or considered doing so. I have a Cal 34 mkii and was interested in getting opinions on recharge times with solar and wind?

DRFerron 02-01-2014 02:47 PM

Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

We considered it. Hard. The deciding factor was that it couldn't get recharged enough to give us the range we need.

(moving this to the Electric forum)

CaptainRahnn 02-01-2014 04:10 PM

Not actually sure how to move it to the electric forum

DRFerron 02-01-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn (Post 1369057)
Not actually sure how to move it to the electric forum

It's there already. Magic happens. :)

aa3jy 02-01-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn (Post 1368825)
My engine is getting old and was wondering if anyone has installed an inboard electric engine or considered doing so. I have a Cal 34 mkii and was interested in getting opinions on recharge times with solar and wind?

Are electric motors ready to replace diesels? - Ocean Navigator - September 2011

mad_machine 02-04-2014 02:47 PM

I do not know about an inboard.. but I know the replacement outboard for my Sea Sprite will be a torqeedo

miatapaul 02-04-2014 03:18 PM

Yea, the big issue is capacity. A gallon of diesel is equal to about a thousand pounds of batteries. So you get a few hours of range at best unless you put in a LOT of batteries. I would love it if it was practical. I sail on a boat with a dozen huge deep cycles and electric motor, it is nice to have instant on power, though surprisingly noisy. They normally sail on and off the dock anyway. (32 foot wooden boat) But it is only sailed very locally so you are not out of range of the batteries. It was done for ecological reasons, not cost, and they are wiling to live with the limitations.

If all you want to do is get on and off a mooring, it can work. But if you are one to use the motor to maintain any schedule when the wind drops then it is likely not for you. Not bad if you are wiling to sit still in a calm waiting for the wind to come back, or in an area with very regular winds.

CaptainRahnn 02-04-2014 08:48 PM

How long would it take to recharge with 1000 watts of solar panels or wind turbine or both. They are rechargeable just wondering what kind of time frame are we talking about?

Maine Sail 02-04-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn (Post 1380513)
How long would it take to recharge with 1000 watts of solar panels or wind turbine or both. They are rechargeable just wondering what kind of time frame are we talking about?

How big is the bank?

What voltage is the bank?

What type of chemistry?

What depth of discharge for each cycle?

mitiempo 02-04-2014 10:44 PM

According to CaptainRahnn's profile his boat is a 34' Cal. Where does one install 1000 watts of solar on a 34' boat I wonder?