Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Electric/Hybrid
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014

petertribo is on a distinguished road
High Battery Reading 15.7

Hello, once again sailing in Nova Scotia after one long Winter.

I have checked my marine battery with two different voltmeters and I get a high reading of 15.7.
I checked this battery throughout the winter and got the same reading. I understand this may indicate a worn out battery. Is that correct?

Also, with a 30 watt solar charger connected to the battery in full sunlight what reading should I be getting on the battery?

Any recommendations for best marine battery?

Thanks.

Peter, Elan 7.7 trimaran
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2014

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: High Battery Reading 15.7

The resting voltage of the battery depends on what type it is, each battery chemistry has different optimal values. Along the same lines, a 30W unregulated solar cell could be putting out 18V and could overcharge the battery so the voltage reading at charge could be any value. It depends upon which charger and what charge method it uses.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

bingo...I bet that panel is unregulated...

are you testing the battery voltage isolated from the panel and all other sources?

Old 06-11-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertribo View Post
Hello, once again sailing in Nova Scotia after one long Winter.

I have checked my marine battery with two different voltmeters and I get a high reading of 15.7.
This is NOT GOOD...

Quote:
I checked this battery throughout the winter and got the same reading. I understand this may indicate a worn out battery. Is that correct?
By now your batteries are pretty much toast if the meters are to be believed..

Quote:
Also, with a 30 watt solar charger connected to the battery in full sunlight what reading should I be getting on the battery?

Any recommendations for best marine battery?

Thanks.

Peter, Elan 7.7 trimaran
You can't simply direct connect a 30W panel to a battery without a charge controller. Sounds like you need a controller and a new battery....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-12-2014

Thanks for the replies.

I checked the battery without the panel connected. I had checked the battery periodically throughout the winter and it read around 15.

Another piece of information is that connected to the panel which is in full sunlight the reading only goes up to about 16.5. I remember is as being much higher.

The battery is about 4 years old. Years ago, I had read that a 30 watt panel could be directly connected without a controller. So, it was connected directly on a previous boat and now this one. The batteries seems to have lasted about 4-5 years.

Also, there is low drain on the battery just an autopilot and handheld GPS.
Old 06-12-2014

Can you tell us the make and model of the battery, then we can put the voltages you see into perspective.

Here's a YouTube video showing how batteries can be damaged with a small unregulated solar panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5RtZe9AW2E
christian.hess likes this.

Old 06-12-2014
new dad!

Im surprised they lasted that long...

I killed a flooded deep cycle in one season by connecting a smaller 10-15watter but it went up to 18-19volts unregulated...

it was the first time I was away from a boat so long so figured it was fine...but I learned the hard way...battery was completely shot when I got back 6 months later

you must explain what battery type you have some have high voltages as standard around 14.5 volts...forget which ones..

Old 06-13-2014

It is a Group 24, deep cycle marine battery.

It is not a fixed solar panel. My normal practice is to set the panel up when finished sailing.
I disconnect and store it when I sail. Depending on weather etc. I may get a few hours charge. It is never left connected for more than a few days.
Old 06-13-2014

petertribo - Group 24 just refers to the size, and deep cycle means it has thicker plates, but neither tells us what the voltages should be. Do you have a make and model? Is it a sealed battery or can you check liquid levels in it?

Old 06-13-2014
new dad!

its more than likely a floooded acid battery where typical charging voltages are around 13.5 and the battery when alone should be in the normal 12.5-13v range if in good condition

btw op just cause you disconnect the panel doesnt mean you arent doing harm when charging...

its still pumping out over 16 volts...I bet at midday sun with clear skies you will see 18 volts

thats still an UNREGULATED panel so either get a cheap pwm charge controller or get a better panel and use mppt controller to get the suns full advantage

cheers