SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Battery choices for offshore use

6K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  Irunbird 
#1 ·
Hi, folks- I have a little confession to make here; I killed 4 perfectly good Deka GC-10 batteries after not quite 2 years of use (and neglect). We moved and put the boat in storage and it took me a while with all the issues moving to Florida, starting a new job, etc... to get the batteries off of the boat and in my garage where I could keep a closer eye on them. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure they dipped below the point of no return with respect to charge and have never bounced back. I had them tested today and at least one bank of 2 is trashed. The other two aren't much farther behind.

I've read a little from MaineSails posts (which are almost on every boating forum out there), and wonder if going the AGM route might be better for me as long as I treat them well. I know myself well, so I need something that might be a bit more forgiving if the state of charge dips a few times before I can get to it and resume charging. The specifics- this is a boat that I like doing offshore trips and races in. I'm planning on doing a race to Cuba (delivering from Tampa to Key West this coming January) and back, but there is also Bermuda 1-2 in 2017. I have a Renogy 100 watt semi-flexible solar panel with a Genasun GV-10 controller. The other reason I am beginning to favor the AGM's is that they are sealed and trying to figure out a way to seal my current battery box is a big challenge (no sealed box fits easily in my battery compartments), and that is a requirement for any category 1 race.. So- would you have any suggestions for a brand (there is a US Battery distributor a little over an hour away in Kissimmee) or should I just stick with ye olde wet cells and figure out how to seal them in a box and never let them out of my sight again? I think we're here to stay for a while, so keeping them (whether wet-cell or AGM) plugged into my solar panel shouldn't be a problem.

Ray

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.