EFI Outlet in cockpit. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-06-2013
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 2,905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 8
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Not all inverters are the same. Some have automatic switching between different power sources. So it could be true.
Agreed. I was objecting to the statement that ALL inverters automatically bond neutral and ground. They don't all do that. Some do.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 06-06-2013
mitiempo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 6,982
Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 7
mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Not true. My Mastervolt invertor does not make the connection between ground and neutral. The connection is made by the power selector switch between shore power (connection ashore), generator (connection at the generator), and inverter (connection at the switch).

The OP didn't give us a make or model of inverter.
Actually the op did give make and model. In post #4 he stated that it is a Xantrex Freedom SW3012 3000 watt inverter and was professionally installed. I have installed the same inverter and it makes the connection between ground and neutral internally.

One item he is not clear on is whether there is power at the GFI or not. In other words is it wired into the system or has it tripped. In the Xantrex manual they list 2 or 3 GFI's that will work with their inverters, as not all will.
__________________
Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 06-07-2013
Pacific Skipper
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles / San Pedro / Palos Verdes
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Rasputin is on a distinguished road
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Nothing was wired to keep it from working at select times.

Keeoing it simple, the GFI only works with shore power. Not with inverter or gen. Again, I've tried two GFIs (so that's not it) AND a regular outlet (non-GFI) works under gen and inverter. So it's something to do with my grounding on the boat I guess.... I just don't know.

Inverter is a Xantrex SW300
(Inverter Charger | Freedom SW 3000 Inverter/Charger | Xantrex)

Thanks!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Young Sun 50' Center Cockpit Cutter Sloop
Permanent Waves - Long Beach, CA. ~ USCG 673238
CBYC / LBYC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 06-07-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,645
Thanks: 10
Thanked 110 Times in 105 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Have you put a multi-meter across the terminals at the back of the receptacle, with the invertor running? I suspect its just not getting power. If it is, it's the GFI, but again, I doubt it.

Where does the wire to this GFI come from? Is it dedicated to a breaker on the panel or is it in series with another receptacles? Track it down.

Personally, I would opt for isolating an outdoor receptacle from indoor. If this was done, it remains possible that the cockpit circuit was designed to only get its ground from the shore.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 06-07-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,645
Thanks: 10
Thanked 110 Times in 105 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Just had another light go off. Not sure if the OP knows that when a GFI receptacle is added, all receptacles that come after it are also protected. You wouldn't need to install another GFI. It's possible that the cockpit is already protected in series, by another GFI installed below.

Again, important to find where the wire to the cockpit receptacle comes from.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 06-07-2013
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 2,905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 8
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Actually the op did give make and model. In post #4 he stated that it is a Xantrex Freedom SW3012 3000 watt inverter and was professionally installed. I have installed the same inverter and it makes the connection between ground and neutral internally.
I missed that. Thanks. You are correct.

"Professionally installed" means a whole range of things. *grin*
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 06-07-2013
jimgo's Avatar
Asleep at the wheel
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,912
Thanks: 71
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Rep Power: 3
jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Minnie, I asked the same thing early on and the OP said no, this is the only GFCI on this circuit.

One thing I haven't seen answered is whether the GFCI is tripping, or if it just doesn't get power. If it's tripping, then I think it's likely either a) there's a GFCI hiding somewhere on that circuit (sounds silly, but you'd be surprised how often this can happen) or b) the GFCI isn't compatible with the inverter. If it isn't getting power at all, then I agree with the suggestion above, either a) for some reason, the inverter isn't getting power when the AC is turned off, b) the inverter is broken and not outputting any power, or c) there's a problem in the wiring between the inverter and the GFCI.

In reality, even if the problem is somewhere in the power distribution system (i.e., everything up to the GFCI recepticle), a bad/incompatible GFCI will also cause problems. I'd do as suggested by others, above and make sure there is power at each step along the way from the battery to the inverter, and from the inverter to the GFCI. Just because the thing was professionally installed doesn't mean it was done properly, nor does it mean it was actually tested under battery power.

The following is from the owner's manual for the inverter:

GFCI Requirements

A GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) is a device that deenergizes a circuit when a current to ground exceeds a specified value that is less than that required to open the circuit breaker. GFCIs are intended to protect people from electric shocks and are usually required in wet or damp locations.

Installation in recreational vehicles requires GFCI protection of certain branch circuits. Consult all applicable codes.

Tested GFCIs

Compliance with UL standards requires that Xantrex test and recommend specific GFCIs for use on the output of the inverter. Table 1 lists models that have been tested and will function properly when connected to the AC output of the Freedom SW 3000.

Table 1 Tested GFCI Models

Manufacturer Model Number
Hubbell GFR5252WA
Leviton 8599-GY
Pass & Seymour 1594-W



Looking at the manual in more detail, I see that the inverter has both AC and DC inputs (see, e.g., testing step 7 on page 37). Given the OP's description of the problem, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the inverter was hooked up for the charger functions, but that the DC input wasn't hooked up.
__________________
- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 06-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 06-07-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,645
Thanks: 10
Thanked 110 Times in 105 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Jim, I agree with your post. I would add the potential scenario thatnt was intentionally excluded.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 06-07-2013
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 253
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Nothing was wired to keep it from working at select times.

Keeoing it simple, the GFI only works with shore power. Not with inverter or gen. Again, I've tried two GFIs (so that's not it) AND a regular outlet (non-GFI) works under gen and inverter. .

Thanks!



Try the GFI on another outlet. Pick an outlet closest to the panel. If it doesn't work there, it might be in how the inverter is wired. I'm assuming the power from the inverter is coming in before the breakers, right?

Sorry I wrote a longer response but try the above first. If it does work there, the GFI is tripping on something else in the line while in the cockpit. Could just be old wiring.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 06-07-2013
mitiempo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 6,982
Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 7
mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: EFI Outlet in cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Minnie, I asked the same thing early on and the OP said no, this is the only GFCI on this circuit.

One thing I haven't seen answered is whether the GFCI is tripping, or if it just doesn't get power. If it's tripping, then I think it's likely either a) there's a GFCI hiding somewhere on that circuit (sounds silly, but you'd be surprised how often this can happen) or b) the GFCI isn't compatible with the inverter. If it isn't getting power at all, then I agree with the suggestion above, either a) for some reason, the inverter isn't getting power when the AC is turned off, b) the inverter is broken and not outputting any power, or c) there's a problem in the wiring between the inverter and the GFCI.

In reality, even if the problem is somewhere in the power distribution system (i.e., everything up to the GFCI recepticle), a bad/incompatible GFCI will also cause problems. I'd do as suggested by others, above and make sure there is power at each step along the way from the battery to the inverter, and from the inverter to the GFCI. Just because the thing was professionally installed doesn't mean it was done properly, nor does it mean it was actually tested under battery power.

The following is from the owner's manual for the inverter:

GFCI Requirements

A GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) is a device that deenergizes a circuit when a current to ground exceeds a specified value that is less than that required to open the circuit breaker. GFCIs are intended to protect people from electric shocks and are usually required in wet or damp locations.

Installation in recreational vehicles requires GFCI protection of certain branch circuits. Consult all applicable codes.

Tested GFCIs

Compliance with UL standards requires that Xantrex test and recommend specific GFCIs for use on the output of the inverter. Table 1 lists models that have been tested and will function properly when connected to the AC output of the Freedom SW 3000.

Table 1 Tested GFCI Models

Manufacturer Model Number
Hubbell GFR5252WA
Leviton 8599-GY
Pass & Seymour 1594-W



Looking at the manual in more detail, I see that the inverter has both AC and DC inputs (see, e.g., testing step 7 on page 37). Given the OP's description of the problem, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the inverter was hooked up for the charger functions, but that the DC input wasn't hooked up.
The DC input has to be hooked up for it to charge - there is only one set of DC inputs. The are used for both inverter input and charging output, should be 4/0 on this inverter.


Is the GFI one of the three listed in the manual? If not that may well be the problem. Inverters do not work with many GFI's.

OP states power is at the outlet as it works with a standard outlet on both shore power and inverter power. This tells me it is most likely installed correctly.
__________________
Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
efi , inverter , outlet , power , shore


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adding a cockpit AC outlet rmeador Gear & Maintenance 5 12-13-2010 07:20 PM
new GFI outlet with inverter teejayevans Pacific Seacraft 3 09-19-2010 12:40 PM
Loo outlet location Classic30 Gear & Maintenance 10 08-05-2010 09:05 PM
Outlet issue dch Electrical Systems 14 11-07-2009 12:42 PM
12v power outlet in cockpit dougklay Gear & Maintenance 22 09-11-2008 07:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012