Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-19-2013

ashmun is on a distinguished road
Re: Rewiring my sailboat

Hi Dauntless Brent,
Boat wire has some similarities to house and car wiring but also difference that are important. Unlike a car, where the negative wire can be grounded to a chassis, most wire in boats is 'round trip' (positive wire length and negative wire length running to a device, with a few exception like alternators or starters that are bolted and grounded on the engine). Unlike a house, boats wiring is subject to the marine environment (e.g. vibration, heat, moisture/water, and more). Corrosion is a big factor, so using quality marine wire, connectors and shrink tubing is import as is using the right tools. Good crimpers (as MikeOReilly pointed out) for battery cables are expensive, there is a small crimper that you can hit with a hammer or I'd suggest seeing if you could borrow or rent a big battery cable crimper. We've re-wired almost all of our previous boats, so we own a large crimper and love having it. Voltage meter and a clamp-on AC/DC amp meter is also useful. Remember to use both an ABYC E-11 compliant voltage drop and an ampacity table when figuring out the wire sizing. There tables are generally listed in marine electrical book, some marine cables sites, and there are app both on the web and for mobile devices but make sure they are ABYC E-11 and not housing 310.15 table. If batteries or the cables from the batteries to the switches, circuit protect, etc run through the engine room, remember to take this into account when using the table or an app. Engine space is warmer and the wire might need to be thicker.

There are plenty of good posts before this one, so the only three items I'd add is seconding the "check out Mainsail's site or tech tips" [not sure if this is Ed Sherman's Tech Tips that he's referring to, which is also a great site]; consider purchasing a few good marine electrical book (aka Nigel Calder, Charlie Wing, Ed Sherman, etc.), and even though good wire, connectors, circuit breakers, fuses and switches might seem expensive - get them because the consequences of not having good wires and circuit protection is more expensive.
MikeOReilly likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

Only difference for you with an outboard is that the negative for your boat is the battery (-) not the engine.

Good luck.
ashmun likes this.
Old 06-24-2013

bobsaxet is on a distinguished road

I've only rewired one boat and the project was small.
The only thing I can add to what's been said so far is that you should consider the restrictions surrounding your depth transducer cable. The Raymarine unit I installed had very specific instructions about how closely other wires could be located (especially those associated with the VHF).
Hope this helps, Bob
Old 06-28-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
Get your wire from genuinedealz.com. I saw someone post about it a year out so ago and bought from them. Much cheaper than Anchor for the same spec marine grade wire made in Massachusetts if I remember right.
Well, you should shop around: Sailnet, Genuinedealz and Gregs Marine. I'll bet Greg's will have better prices. I am not connected, just a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

Only difference for you with an outboard is that the negative for your boat is the battery (-) not the engine.

Good luck.
++1 on that

I am half way thru my rewiring project using the learnings I got here and from electrical handbooks from Charlie Wing (highly recommended) and Don Casey.
The trick? plan, plan, plan, do.

1) Draft a diagram based on Stu's links above.
2) Measure all the wire distances taking the wire runs up and downs around furniture into account.
2) Make a list of wire sizes (depends on the distances X 2) and colors
3) Shop around:
  • For wires
  • For connectors and heat-shrink
  • For a crimping tool (Pro's kit was the most cost effective for my project)
  • A good stripper and wire cutter
  • Bus bars
4) Buy
5) Get moving.

Best of luck

Tags
rewiring