Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mitiempo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
How to use marine battery posts?

My boat came with all wiring only connected to the threaded terminals; nothing connected to the lead automotive-style tapered SAE posts. Everything that wired direct to the battery stacked on the threads.

Is there anything in particular that the big lead terminals should be used for? Or should I just keep them covered and ignore them?

I've bought new batteries and I'm redoing some of the wiring, and adding a permanently wired AC charger. There is no starter motor or anything; all of the loads are electronics, which the biggest being the inverter or the autopilot, and of course the charger itself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: How to use marine battery posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwindward View Post
Is there anything in particular that the big lead terminals should be used for? Or should I just keep them covered and ignore them?
A good question.

They are there as an alternative to the threaded terminals, so in your case, just cap them off and ignore tham. It's important to cap them or cover them in some way, especially the red (+) because if anything heavy and metallic falls across them whilst out sailing nasty things could happen..

Last edited by Classic30; 07-04-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I agree, cap them and ignore. But there should not be multiple connections stacked on the studs of the battery. Invest in a few busbars and then you can have less connections on the battery. Ideally there should be only one positive and one negative on a battery, excepting temp sensors and any parallel/series wiring.
Old 07-04-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Ideally there should be only one positive and one negative on a battery, excepting temp sensors and any parallel/series wiring.
..and charging circuits and voltage monitoring and...
Old 07-04-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
..and charging circuits and voltage monitoring and...
Can all be done from the bus a few inches away. One of the last larger banks I installed was composed of 8 golf carts in series/parallel - 960 AH. Except for the series/parallel wiring there was one positive and one negative out to their respective buses or fuses and one temp sensor.
Classic30 and chef2sail like this.
Old 07-05-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road

Would there be any value in putting charging on the SAE posts? It's pretty much the highest current load I currently have, at 40A; it's also 'special' in that it doesn't go through the main bus, but directly through a 50A fuse to the charger (so the wire run has as little drop as possible).
Old 07-05-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Can all be done from the bus a few inches away. One of the last larger banks I installed was composed of 8 golf carts in series/parallel - 960 AH. Except for the series/parallel wiring there was one positive and one negative out to their respective buses or fuses and one temp sensor.
Amen! These are what most of my installs typically look like.

In this situation I used the "auto" post for the MRBF fuse and main + feed to the vessel. The marine post was used for the parallel connections.

During the mock up stage of the battery box:

I am usually starting with something like this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwindward View Post
Would there be any value in putting charging on the SAE posts? It's pretty much the highest current load I currently have, at 40A; it's also 'special' in that it doesn't go through the main bus, but directly through a 50A fuse to the charger (so the wire run has as little drop as possible).
No. Actually the highest current load is usually either engine starting or anchor winch load (don't know if you have either).

Having the charger connected to the main battery bus, with everything else, makes it easier to work out your cable connections and means you don't need a second battery protection fuse..
Old 07-21-2013

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road

And as you can see from Maine Sails pictures you should NOT use the wing nuts that sometimes come with the secondary battery connections. I was dinged by my insurance survey for having wing nuts and was recommended to replace them with locking nuts.

Ron