Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Solar charge controller question

Another detail I should mention: according to the panel literature, each panel should put out a maximum of 3.5a/18v per hour under optimum sun conditions. Should I expect something like 2a/hour during the sunny hours from each panel? It seems that I should be putting more into the battery than I consume if that's the case.

And yet another detail ... I measured 16v coming into the controller from the panels in the late afternoon sun. Can I assume the panels are working fine?

Last edited by copacabana; 09-01-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013

Another update:

I went to the boat yesterday to install the new controller. Following the advice Mainesail gave me, I checked the amp and volt output of the panels with the old controller before I removed it. it wasn't a very sunny day and the angle was getting low, but the old controller was putting out 1.3 amps and only 12.8 volts. We put in the new controller and saw a jump to 2 amps and 13.1 volts. It looks like the old controller might have been the problem after all. I left the panels charging my 160a house battery and will return in 2 weeks to see the charge state. If all is well, I hope the see the little blinking light that indicates a full battery on float charge.
Old 09-09-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Another update:

I went to the boat yesterday to install the new controller. Following the advice Mainesail gave me, I checked the amp and volt output of the panels with the old controller before I removed it. it wasn't a very sunny day and the angle was getting low, but the old controller was putting out 1.3 amps and only 12.8 volts. We put in the new controller and saw a jump to 2 amps and 13.1 volts. It looks like the old controller might have been the problem after all. I left the panels charging my 160a house battery and will return in 2 weeks to see the charge state. If all is well, I hope the see the little blinking light that indicates a full battery on float charge.

Glad you found the issue. There are a LOT of suspect solar controllers out there and the market is akin to Snake Oil sales from the early days of pharmaceuticals........
copacabana likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-09-2013

Thanks Mainesail. I hope I've nailed it. As I mentioned, I'll know for sure when I get back to the boat after two weeks of charging in the sun. If I find the battery on float charge, I'll be happy. Funny that the old controller didn't fail altogether though. I thought they either worked or didn't work.

I'll report back with the final results!
Old 09-23-2013

Final results: I found the battery bursting with 12.9v and sitting on float charge. I believe the problem was solved by replacing the controller. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Copa-
If the battery was bursting at 12.9v, it might have been "cooked" by a bad controller and then burst. Or, it might have been dried out resulting in a burst from "normal" and proper charging. At least in my understanding, what you saw doesn't give you a definite cause and effect, it could have gone either way.
Old 09-23-2013

Sorry, I didn't mean literally "bursting", I meant fully charged. The battery seems to be fine. Anyhow, my next step is to add a cheap amp meter to monitor how many amps are flowing into the battery from the panels. For the time being I'm using battery voltage to determine the charge state.