Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road
Re: Helm control panel question

Humm, don't know... I'll have to investigate that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Like dem; I'm in the same boat. Starboard, aft lower bulkhead shift and throttle and opposite bulkhead engine indicators. The trans and throttle get in the way, lines get tangled and are subject to being kicked or toe-stubbed. Idiot lites are near useless and IF I hafta shut down, I gotta drop to a knee and find the button.

I plan to add all he gauges I need , the throttle/shift and such to the starboard/aft cabin bulkhead; like the pilots station onna Pilothouse boat. Now just to find the dual control and appropriate meters!
Old 08-06-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road

Interference of the magnetic compass... could that be one of the reasons for scattering electrical based devices around the cockpit? Mechanical engine gauges do not operate off electrical signals so I may simply use old school tech on them. I'll have to see if Farryman built any mechanical tach drives into their mid 70s engines.

I just read an article in "Good Old Boat" (July Aug 2013, pg 55) where compass interference from an on board generator caused as much as a 40 degree error... they ended up sailing into a rock wall of a coast in Turkey (I think it was Turkey)... but then a generator, especially if it contained permanent magnets likely should have never been installed just below the compass (that wasn't well defined in the article, but wasn't very far away evidently from the wording). If it was electromagnetic field "magnets"... the magnetic fields would collapse once de-energized and then not effect the compass (I believe, could be a residual... I'll ask my Uncle). But with permanent magnets the mag field would always be present. Either of these are very strong magnetic fields compared to modern electronic instruments so I'll be investigating over time on this and post when I know more.

All knowlegde and experiences for all of you is more than welcome.

I'll be in the Great Lakes initially where its not likely quite as critical, but after retirement who knows where I'll sail it.

Dave
Old 08-06-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

If you carry a pocket compass when you're shopping, you can check whether anything you're considering has a magnetic footprint. Shielded cable may tame the electromagnetism of guages,
but the instruments may leak. Remember the inverse-square law; even a little extra separation
can significantly reduce interference.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.