Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-10-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road
Another Battery Hookup Question

I know, I know; there are a lot of these questions, but none gave me the feeling I knew with certainty how to hook up the batteries correctly, and I would like to get this right.

Hooking up 2 group 27 batteries and using a solar panel with a charge controller.

1. From the controller, do I connect the red lead to red on one battery and the black to the other one?

2. The positive from each battery only goes to the switch, the positives from each battery is not connected to each other.

3. The negatives of the 2 batteries are connected to each other, as well as the main ground?

Here's a diagram, am I way off?

'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Another Battery Hookup Question

Your either/neither/ both switch has to be on both for that to work fully. Others will be along soon to explain.
Old 08-10-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

So the positive would be connected. So how would it need to be to charge correctly?
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 08-10-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You can keep it simple by running the solar charge controller to the house bank (#2). That will only charge #2, unless you put the switch to the "both" position, at which point it will charge both.

But unless you are doing separate switching, there's no really simple way to charge them both from one controller while still keeping them isolated.

If you want to add more stuff, sure, you could charge #1, add in a battery combiner, and then that would connect #2 automatically to let it charge up whenever #1 was full (engine running or solar topped up) but that's going to be an extra $100+.
Old 08-12-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

Another thing to check/beware: my solar charge controller (a BlueSky SB3024IL) has SEPARATE negative connections for battery and panels - they must not be connected together or reversed (used for current monitoring I believe). Check your manual.
Old 08-12-2013
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road

If you have isolated batteries you could use a MorningStar SunSaver Duo which is basically two controllers in one. You will have two sets of wires. One set to each battery.

I don't have the Duo model without the remote meter showed on my website but it is available. In the past, the one with a remote meter has been the most popular. MorningStar has told me that it will also work if you have the switch turned to both batteries.

Info:
Controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
I know, I know; there are a lot of these questions, but none gave me the feeling I knew with certainty how to hook up the batteries correctly, and I would like to get this right.

Hooking up 2 group 27 batteries and using a solar panel with a charge controller.

1. From the controller, do I connect the red lead to red on one battery and the black to the other one?

2. The positive from each battery only goes to the switch, the positives from each battery is not connected to each other.

3. The negatives of the 2 batteries are connected to each other, as well as the main ground?

Here's a diagram, am I way off?

Last edited by mdbee; 08-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Put a combiner between the two batteries (like THIS). Charging them by switching the main switch to BOTH isn't a good idea, as the batteries are bound to have different potentials.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.