Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-09-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road
wiring diagram and questions

I've perused hundreds of pages, and I think I understand now. One question, when you add the wind generator, solar panels, shore battery charger, and alternator pos(+) and neg(-) do you terminate them at the appropriate house battery terminals? In other words, in my example you'd essentially have four inputs and one output at the house bank pos and neg terminals. Correct?

Each of the supply lines has a diode or something to keep the other generation sources from harming it?

Old 09-10-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: wiring diagram and questions

It is always best to keep the number of wires at each battery post as few as possible. A short jumper from house positive to a bus where the other connections terminate works well. Same with the negative side, remembering that the shunt for the monitor has to be first in line with all loads following after the shunt.

Multiple charge sources are not a problem on the same battery bank.

Last edited by mitiempo; 09-10-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to mitiempo For This Useful Post:
boz86 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It is always best to keep the number of wires at each battery post as few as possible. A short jumper from house positive to a bus where the other connections terminate works well. Same with the negative side, remembering that the shunt for the monitor has to be first in line with all loads following after the shunt.
That's something I hadn't considered yet, much tidier and safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Multiple charge sources are not a problem on the same battery bank.
That made sense to me, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something in all my reading.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz86 View Post
I've perused hundreds of pages, and I think I understand now. One question, when you add the wind generator, solar panels, shore battery charger, and alternator pos(+) and neg(-) do you terminate them at the appropriate house battery terminals? In other words, in my example you'd essentially have four inputs and one output at the house bank pos and neg terminals. Correct?

Each of the supply lines has a diode or something to keep the other generation sources from harming it?

Your batt mon shunt will not work correctly as drawn.

ALL LOADS AND CHARGE SOURCES, INCLUDING THE ECHO, & START BATTERY MUST BE ON THE LOAD SIDE OF THE SHUNT.

NOTHING CONNECTS TO THE HOUSE BANK NEG POST OTHER THAN THE BATTERY SIDE OF THE SHUNT AND ANY BATTERIES IN THAT PHYSICAL BANK...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-10-2013

Thanks Maine Sail, found this thread doing more searching because I didn't want to pester the forum piece by piece:
Updating DC System

His was much more exact and correct, but at least building my own diagram let get a handle on my misunderstandings.
Old 09-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Bravo on having a battery monitor. We have the Victron and it's the best money I've spent -- I look at the dang thing all the time.

I'd advise not using your starting battery as a reserve for "house" usage. If your house bank is getting low, that's exactly the time to start your engine and get some charging. It's not the time to risk your ability to start the engine. I've always thought that "1-2-both" switches are only for the starter circuit. That way you can leverage your house bank if the starting battery goes dead. We don't use one though; we keep a pair of jumper cables onboard.

We needed a diode between our wind genny and the regulator. Actually there is no regulator for a wind genny, only a dump load controller. Wind gennys have to make power or they spin out of control. You'll need a dump load attached to the controller. (Some smaller and hugely noisy wind gennys do stop spinning instead of creating a dump load. They have everything built in too, but will annoy your family/crew and make your neighbors upset with you.)

Even though we typically anchor where there are few neighbors, we ditched the wind genny and added more solar. I'll probably put the Fourwinds II on eBay in the next week or so. It's not windy enough where we cruise and we turned it out of the wind (shut it down) whenever we were on the boat. (It was great as a riding/anchor sail, by the way.)

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 09-11-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

MS has already spoken to the shunt on the wrong side.

I'd add at least a 4 terminal buss bar (150amp rated) to the neg side, maybe to the positive as well depending.
It just makes hooking up all the cables easier and neater.
The positive side should have either a 100 or 150 amp fuse on it as close to the battery as possible.

After the MPPT you should have a fuse rated at 150% of output of the MPPT (for example I have a 30 amp after my 20amp BS 2125 (HV) controller- ditto on the wind gen, put a fuse on it (positive side for both).
Old 09-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
...I'd add at least a 4 terminal buss bar (150amp rated) to the neg side, maybe to the positive as well ...
Skack!

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 09-14-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

You don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com