Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Refrigerator off main breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
Thanks Brad,
Do you have a switch that allows you to isolate the refrigerator?

Graham
No, I pull the fuse or turn the thermostat off.

(I sometimes have a relay in line with the thermostat, when the bateries hit 13.5 volts, the compressor runs and at high speed. It works great in the summer to store extra energy. When the relay is connected, it means I have to pull the fuse. I ought to make a switch for the thermostat/relay variations, but I'm still not done designing it so the fridge doesn't get too cold.)

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
I am just installing a new fridge system. The old one is tied to the main breaker but I am considering going direct from the battery through its own breaker so we could leave it on with the rest of the boat off. Is this OK?

It is for long term cruising and we have a very well insulated (4 1/2"+) refrigerator and 400w of solar.

Advice appreciated as always.

Thanks

Graham
Graham,

Sure you can do that but there is always risk. I am not a huge fan of powering loads from only solar or wind when away from the boat for extended periods.

A lot of fridge manufacturers want to see their appliance run straight to the house bank due to so many issues with voltage drop. So long as you have a fuse that meets the AIC rating for your bank you will be fine.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-01-2013

GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Thanks MS,
I was not quite clear. The fridge will be off the house bank but not through the main isolation switch. It will have its own isolation switch.

I'm definitely not thinking of extended periods. Just things like going ashore for the day where I would like to turn off the bulk of the electrics but leave the fridge running.

Does that sound OK?

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Graham,

Sure you can do that but there is always risk. I am not a huge fan of powering loads from only solar or wind when away from the boat for extended periods.

A lot of fridge manufacturers want to see their appliance run straight to the house bank due to so many issues with voltage drop. So long as you have a fuse that meets the AIC rating for your bank you will be fine.
Old 10-01-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Thanks MS,
I was not quite clear. The fridge will be off the house bank but not through the main isolation switch. It will have its own isolation switch.

I'm definitely not thinking of extended periods. Just things like going ashore for the day where I would like to turn off the bulk of the electrics but leave the fridge running.

Does that sound OK?

Graham
That is fine. I thought you were talking about leaving it on a mooring during the week etc...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-02-2013

Refrigerator off main breaker?

Thanks MS and thanks for all the other great information you have posted elsewhere. It has been a great help to me. If you are ever down in Portsmouth or Kittery let me know and I will happily buy you a beer or dinner.

Graham
Old 10-02-2013

Brad,
What are you using to voltage control the relay? I was thinking of doing this for the watermaker to make use of surplus solar power.

Graham

Quote:
(I sometimes have a relay in line with the thermostat, when the bateries hit 13.5 volts, the compressor runs and at high speed. It works great in the summer to store extra energy. When the relay is connected, it means I have to pull the fuse. I ought to make a switch for the thermostat/relay variations, but I'm still not done designing it so the fridge doesn't get too cold.)

Regards,
Brad