Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2013

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
Trickle charger for winter storage

I have three lead acid batteries on our 1979 sabre 34. Typically over the winter (at least for the seven years I have owned the boat) I put them on a trickle charger from early November to early May. I also top off with distilled water if necessary. Is this the best winterstorage method? I am slowly working my way through the book "The 12-volt Bible" and he mentioned somewhere not to do this but I can't find the statement again and cannot find an explanation as to why a trickle charger is bad; but I haven't finished the book, either nor understand it completely??? During the sailing season we run a solar powered Battery Minder that desulphantes and charges.

So, do I run the trickle charger? What do others do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2013

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Re: Trickle charger for winter storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambianceack View Post
I have three lead acid batteries on our 1979 sabre 34. Typically over the winter (at least for the seven years I have owned the boat) I put them on a trickle charger from early November to early May. I also top off with distilled water if necessary. Is this the best winterstorage method? I am slowly working my way through the book "The 12-volt Bible" and he mentioned somewhere not to do this but I can't find the statement again and cannot find an explanation as to why a trickle charger is bad; but I haven't finished the book, either nor understand it completely??? During the sailing season we run a solar powered Battery Minder that desulphantes and charges.

So, do I run the trickle charger? What do others do?
I have three x 105Ah batteries in parallel and use a three stage charger that has a float charge as the last stage.

This keeps the batteries topped up without over-charging them and requires very little adding to the electrolyte.

When this is not in use, the small solar panel changing through a controller does the same thing.
Old 10-07-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road

Costco is selling a multi-stage smart charger (Battery Tender brand) for $29 (or maybe $39, can't remember for sure). Only 1.25 amps, and not permanently installed (although it comes with ring lugs and a plug, so you don't have to use the spring clips). Would seem to be just the ticket for winter storage.

Same as this one:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Russ

Last edited by Rusty123; 10-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

I've used Battery Tenders for several years now that I learned the hard way about Trickle charges. They can and do ruin batteries. Get a good tender that does not over charge.
Old 10-07-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I have a Xantrex 2 bank smart charger permanently installed. It is on whenever I am on shore power, including over the winter. My batteries are 8 years old and going strong.
Hull#101
Old 10-07-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Historically trickle charging was low constant current without voltage regulation. Today the term is muddy and old school trickle chargers are rare. Today's "trickle chargers" are both constant current "CC" and constant voltage "CV" to protect the battery.

Battery Tender is a reputable brand..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-08-2013

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information...will upgrade the trickle chargers.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.