Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

johnmartinek is on a distinguished road
Re: Wiring schematic app?

Thanks for all the info

I have been wanting to rewire my US yatch 22' and you all have great ideas!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road

Another vote for Visio. I use it and Eagle schematic capture regularly and would use Visio myself for this task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmartinek View Post
Thanks for all the info

I have been wanting to rewire my US yatch 22' and you all have great ideas!!
Not to go off topic, but make sure you check out Genuinedealz.com for your wiring materials. I'm not related in any way, just a very satisfied customer who found them on another SN thread and wants to share the wealth. After all...those of us who maintain their own "yachts" need all the help we can get! http://www.genuinedealz.com/

Last edited by L124C; 02-18-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I use PowerPoint....

And because

I am trying to figure out how to do this in Visio (which I just re-installed).
L124C and Brewgyver like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
L124C (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014

I guess I am thinking of a diagram rather than a schematic. It would be a map that shows how the wiring is run. I find that when I work on wiring I did a couple of years back, I have to completely retrace the path to figure out where things are. Tough enough dockside, I can't even imagine doing it at sea! The example in post #3 shows the lighting circuits (for example), but doesn't indicate how the wires are run. The Schematic in #14 is pretty much what I have in my motor manual, but again doesn't show locations, or lighting for that matter. Both programs could be used to do what I'm talking about.

My boat is pretty basic, and maybe it's weird, but I've got lighting and instrument wires running from the panel in back of the galley, along port, starboard and down the center of the boat, some even crossing bulkheads, all meeting in the Head to go up the mast. The positive for the running lights runs from the panel to the stern, then forward along port to the bow, while the ground returns along starboard, except for the stern light which has it's own ground path.

I've kind of said all of this before. However, I'm curious...doesn't any one else ever feel like they would like to look at a diagram that shows the actual wiring paths to troubleshoot a problem? Maybe most boats are more straight forward than mine.

Last edited by L124C; 01-05-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Updated schematic:

I added the negative buss bar, a terminal strip, and moved the connections for the Echo Charge from the battery terminals to the back of the battery selector switch (because I don't like stuff connected at the battery). Not shown here are the connections to the battery charger, which is also connected to the back of the selector switch.

Regarding the wiring diagram, while I believe that this is a good idea, and I recall seeing one for a 1985+ Pearson 30-something, I also think that it may be impractical.

Realize that wires are located in three dimensional space. A diagram only represents the location in two dimensions. How would you discern a wire running through the headliner from one running under the cabin soule? I guess that you could construct several diagrams showing "layers."

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-05-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Or use different colors, line weights, or dashes to represent high/low.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Regarding the wiring diagram, while I believe that this is a good idea, and I recall seeing one for a 1985+ Pearson 30-something, I also think that it may be impractical.
Realize that wires are located in three dimensional space. A diagram only represents the location in two dimensions. How would you discern a wire running through the headliner from one running under the cabin soule? I guess that you could construct several diagrams showing "layers."
I have a hard liner, and don't have any wiring up there. The port and starboard wiring all runs under the gunwales, and any wiring down the middle runs under the cabin sole, so two dimensions would work. But your point is well taken. I'm playing around with Open Office Draw. It seems you can layer drawings. If so, you could have a separate layer for the wiring in the liner. I'll post what I come up with. I might even do a layer for lighting vs. mechanical (for example).
In addition to being an aid in diagnosis, I think the diagram would give an overall view that would be very helpful. I sometimes look at the way other people (including the manufacturer) did work and think "why did they do that?". Hell....I even look at my own work and wonder the same thing! I trace on my hands an knees for 15 minutes and suddenly have an Ah-Ha moment.
Having a overview would show the relationship between electrical components, and possibly more efficient ways to connect them.
In building construction we call it a "as built" plan. As opposed to a "as planned" plan. AKA...A reality check!
Old 01-06-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Thinking about it more, I don't even think I need a boat outline, as long as I know where the bow and stern are in the drawing, and run the lines down the three channels I mentioned earlier. If anyone has examples of what they have created in the programs mentioned here, I'd love to see them.

I've started numbering the wires and creating a corresponding list and description of the routing, but having a visual would be nice.
I've found when I come back a year (or more!) later, I sometimes look at the descriptions that seemed so succinct when I did the wiring, and say....HUGH?
Yea, descriptions can be a bit hard to figure out in the future. Especially by a future owner. I was working on the panel at our house, and well I am sure the previous owner knew very well what room was Steve's but I have no idea at all! I could figure out Ma and Pa that was not too bad, but the kids names left me plugging in a radio and switching off breakers (and rebooting everyone's PC in the process!) till I heard the radio turn off. Turns out Steve for some reason seemed to live in one corner of the living room?!?!

I think Visio or any flow chart app should work to do what you want.
L124C likes this.
Old 02-09-2014

Here is what I have done so far using Open Office Draw. The diagram is about as crowded as I want now, so I'm looking into adding additional systems in "layers". I have a spread sheet that explains the wiring numbers in detail. However, I have to say, I don't think there is much this drawing doesn't tell me (or a subsequent owner) about the lighting and bilge pump system. Wish I had it when I bought the boat!

Took a while to learn the basics of the program. And I know S&S would not be happy with how I depicted the lines of their hull! However, creating and editing is easy now. I didn't exactly find it intuitive, but understand most of the drawing programs are very similar. Once you learn one, the others make sense. The line colors are much sharper in the drawing program or printed version than this JPEG version.

Thanks again for all your help!
Thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by L124C; 02-09-2014 at 02:07 PM.