Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road
Re: Huge Voltage Drain Problem - Ideas?

Thanks Fryewe

How would I split the distribution system? With all breakers off there was still a drain, so what would I do? And after disconnecting the batteries overnight, and draining 1.5 feet of water from the small bilge area and letting it dry out, the problem is gone, for now. Maybe the short was in a wet wire in the bilge (even though the only wires there were to bilge pump, which I de-fused to no avail)? Or maybe the Xantrex needed to be reset?

AND, will it be hard to find the problem now that the voltage drain is gone? Maybe I should let bilge fill with same amount of water and see if the same problem develops?

Erps - Thanks, but the starting Batt is new also.

Last edited by JohnZion; 11-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Filling the bilge to try to recreate the problem may be your best course of action since you can't troubleshoot a problem that isn't there. An intermittent ground is a difficult problem to solve.

If the high current recurs when you refill the bilge then you know the problem is wetted wiring and you can lift leads at the terminal boards (both positive and negative) for the bilge pump (if that is the only load with wiring in the bilge). If there are others lift the leads for each load…one load at a time…until the condition clears.

If the high current doesn't recur when you refill the bilge I would suggest that you study the wiring diagram for your boat (if you don't have one then you need to build one by tracing systems - if you can) so that you have a plan for splitting the system when the problem recurs (as it likely will at the most opportune time).

Because the problem continued when you opened all breakers then I would make my prime suspects those things whose power doesn't go through the breaker panel. The bilge pump is one load that is not normally powered through either the main power switch or a breaker. You may have others (I don't have any others that aren't powered through the main power switch but I have a few that don't have breakers but are fused…the autopilot/Furuno GPS/depth sounder. You need to know which loads don't have breakers and where the fuses for these loads are…and have spare fuses at hand for them if a fuse blows).

Another method of finding the high current that is sometimes successful is to simply touch the 12V wiring inside/behind the breaker panel (wherever accessible) and on terminal boards to see if you can find any wiring that is very warm or hot. Be careful that you don't touch any 115V from shorepower/generator/inverter that may be in the vicinity.

Good luck with this. High current draw in unwanted places can cause a fire (imagine the same effect as the 12V cigarette/cigar lighter in an automobile…it's simply a wound wire resistor with a relatively low value that allows high current to flow in the wire…heating it until it glows red).
JohnZion (11-04-2013)
Old 11-03-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

There is another thread on this about four years ago. I am not sure that it provided all the answers though. One point that was mentioned was resetting the unit by disconnecting the power at say the two fuses for 30 minutes.
What you don't know for sure is if that amp flow is actually occurring. The batteries appear fully charged so they are not discharging.
Sometimes it might be a loose or wrongly connected wire.
I developed much the same problem over our winter. It was showing 8 amps discharge on the start battery so quickly calculating that it was discharged when it was not. There is a solar panel.
However it still showed that rate when the two wires for that battery from the shunt were disconnected. In my case I suspect a short within the unit has occurred and I will see if I can spot it nothing else seems apparent.
Old 11-03-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

With start battery disconnected, what is its' voltage?

If you really had a 40 amp draw you aren't looking for a small wire problem as you would have had a fire! And if you still had the draw with all breakers off the load is something not on a circuit on the panel. So you should be thinking battery problem or something big like a windlass shorted.
Old 11-04-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Have you had a look at the calibration of the Xantrex? With a new battery bank it is highly possible that the Xantrex has to be reset to suit the new batteries.

If you don't have the handbook, they are available on line. Get one and go through the calibration routine.

An easy quick check is to loosen one of the positive terminals and lift it off the post. If you are really drawing 40 amps, you should get a spark that will scare you ever so slightly. No big fat spark, no big fat current draw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-04-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

Is your Xantrex an inverter/charger? I've occasionally (not recently) left the "invert" switch on, which does nothing while on shore power, but in effect turns my Freedom 2500 and battery bank into a big UPS - running whatever laptop chargers etc were plugged in when the shore cord is disconnected.

One time it was the water heater still switched on; luckily I noticed the "-120A" display before it went on for very long!
Old 11-04-2013

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road

QUESTION - the bottom of the bronze (?) raw water filter was touching bilge water. The raw water filter is hooked up to a grounding system (runs to V-drive and, I think, to the engine. Batteries are grounded to the engine). Could this have been setting up a -40A draw from the house batteries?

Also, there are only four wires that run into bilge - 2 go to pump, 2 go to float switch. If I pull the bilge pump fuse (located at the manual/auto/off switch) would that shut off power to all four wires, or would it just depend on how its wired?

Thank you everyone for the great ideas.

To address some of the questions - I have no windlass, the Xantrex is not also an inverter. I did check the voltage on just the starting battery, it was around 12.5.

The problem has not reoccurred. Seems my best bet is to let a little water back into the bilge via raw water strainer and see if the same problem occurs.

Last edited by JohnZion; 11-04-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZion View Post
QUESTION - the bottom of the bronze (?) raw water filter was touching bilge water. The raw water filter is hoked up to a grounding system (runs to V-drive and, I think, to the engine. Batteries are grounded to the engine). Could this have been setting up a -40A draw from the house batteries? [COLOR="Red"[/COLOR]

The problem has not reoccurred. Seems my best bet is to let a little water back into the bilge via raw water strainer and see if the same problem occurs.
I just don't feel any small wire to a bilge pump etc would have survived 40 amps. Maybe the reason the problem went away is that the wire burned out and is now open. You could well have had a short somewhere, but if so you need to find this as it doesn't sound as it was protected by a fuse/breaker as it should have been. I wouldn't assume that filling the bilge with water and the current doesn't happen as you having fixed anything.

You are heading for a fire!
Old 11-04-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

If you're going to play an electrical Sherlock Holmes then you need a proper magnifying glass.

You should have -- ALL boats should have -- an AC/DC clamp-on ammeter. Decent ones are cheap these days (around $60), and they'll save you hundreds of dollars of grief.

Wondering if you have a current leak? Just use the clamp-on ammeter to prove that you do (or don't), and to accurately measure the magnitude of the leak.

Did you really have a 40A current draw with all breakers off, or was the Xantrex lying to you?

No more will you have to say, "I think I have.....". With proper use of a clamp-on ammeter, you'll KNOW you have, or don't have....

You can also know very accurately:

- how much amperage you alternator is actually putting out
- how much amperage your battery charger is actually putting out
- how much amperage your solar panels are putting into the MPPT controller
- how much amperage your MPPT controller is putting into the batteries
- how much amperage your bilge pump draws
- how much amperage just about anything on your boat draws
- how much amperage is being drawn from your batteries
etc., etc.

You get the picture.

Sorry for the mini-rant. It just drives me crazy to watch the antics of folks trying to troubleshoot relatively simple electrical problems on their boats without having even the rudimentary tools required.

Bill
Maine Sail, mitiempo and OPossumTX like this.

Last edited by btrayfors; 11-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btrayfors For This Useful Post:
OPossumTX (11-07-2013)
Old 11-04-2013
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just don't feel any small wire to a bilge pump etc would have survived 40 amps.
The battery monitor gives three readings: Volts, Amps and Amp/hrs. I think in this case, it was a loss of 40 amp hrs that was experienced.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Tags
battery , drain , voltage , xantrex