Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Re: Huge Voltage Drain Problem - Ideas?
If you're going to play an electrical Sherlock Holmes then you need a proper magnifying glass.
You should have -- ALL boats should have -- an AC/DC clamp-on ammeter. Decent ones are cheap these days (around $60), and they'll save you hundreds of dollars of grief.
Wondering if you have a current leak? Just use the clamp-on ammeter to prove that you do (or don't), and to accurately measure the magnitude of the leak.
Did you really have a 40A current draw with all breakers off, or was the Xantrex lying to you?
No more will you have to say, "I think I have.....". With proper use of a clamp-on ammeter, you'll KNOW you have, or don't have....
You can also know very accurately:
- how much amperage you alternator is actually putting out
- how much amperage your battery charger is actually putting out
- how much amperage your solar panels are putting into the MPPT controller
- how much amperage your MPPT controller is putting into the batteries
- how much amperage your bilge pump draws
- how much amperage just about anything on your boat draws
- how much amperage is being drawn from your batteries
You get the picture.
Sorry for the mini-rant. It just drives me crazy to watch the antics of folks trying to troubleshoot relatively simple electrical problems on their boats without having even the rudimentary tools required.
Last edited by btrayfors; 11-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.