Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripoff merchants!

Many times online merchants do not stock the goods they sell. These are dropped shipped from the manufacturers directly to you. I wonder if with an overseas shipping address the system was unable to do so? I've ordered stuff from Amazon books, camping stuff, marine stuff on one order and have had it delivered on different days, in different packing and with different shipping labels. Any way, good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

60-
The deal with Amazon is that they are a logistics company. They try to stock "some" of most stuff in most locations, anticipating where it will be delivered to and warehousing it oin the closest distribution center. So if you order a fishing rod, it is more likely to be stocked near the Great Lakes or seacoasts, less likely to be stocked in the Nevada desert. Snowscrapers and muckluks? In the north, but not New Orleans. (G)

This means that when you order things they are likely to be stocked in different locations, and it is faster and cheaper for Amazon to send multiple shipments, than it is for them to consolidate everything in one location, make a new "bundle" and reship it to you. Sometimes the results feel a bit weird (three different delivery couriers in the same day for the same order, right) but the logic behind what they do is real, most of the time. At other times...well, I don't think airborne drone deliveries are going to bring them any closer to making their first profit, which I'm told hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-03-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I see Pizza hut is considering drone delivery as well. Wonder if they can find us in 30 minutes or less?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-03-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
60-
...well, I don't think airborne drone deliveries are going to bring them any closer to making their first profit, which I'm told hasn't happened yet.
Actually Amazon't retail operations do make a profit.

Amazon's Profits: What People Don't Understand - Business Insider
Old 12-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Many times online merchants do not stock the goods they sell. These are dropped shipped from the manufacturers directly to you. I wonder if with an overseas shipping address the system was unable to do so? I've ordered stuff from Amazon books, camping stuff, marine stuff on one order and have had it delivered on different days, in different packing and with different shipping labels. Any way, good luck!
I agree that this could well be, but his emails to the .com company should have confirmed that there is a delay in shipping part of the shipment. The fact that they are not responding likely what is causing the real issue here. I just ordered some camera stuff that was very cheap, and it took 30 + days to get to me, but it was communicated and I understood so I was not upset.
Old 12-03-2013

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

I don't know the details of this .com retailer but many of these web sites are either part time setups run from a garage or a store front for a larger setup / supplier. Kind of like a franchise. In either case, there may be reasons for the delayed response. Continue on with the CC charge back and be gracious if they offer a sound reason for the delays. If no good explanation… continue to spread the word.
Old 01-09-2014

redx is on a distinguished road

Here's an update to let you all know how things turned out.

Well over two months have passed since I placed my order with Discount Marine Supplies with still no sign off the missing parts, and no word whatsoever from the dealer.

I lodged a transaction dispute with my credit card company before xmas with all the necessary details of my transaction with Discount Marine Supplies, A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from the cc company informing me that the sum of AU$93.00 (for the undelivered parts) had been refunded to my account.

So a positive outcome after all, and a few lessons learned along the way.

Cheers,
redx
Old 01-09-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for updating on the problem you were having