Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013

redx is on a distinguished road
Ripoff merchants!

Greetings all,

Don't get burned by this this mob - DiscountMarineSupplies.com Their discounted prices suck you in but they fleeced me out of $AU100 because I didn't do my homework first, I should have searched the web for reviews before I placed an order.

Check out this link -

Ripoff Report | discountmarinesupplies.com discount marine supplies Search of Complaints & Reviews

redx
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ripoff merchants!

The fact that a fairly LARGE marine chain has only five or six complaints lodged against it in that many years, actually speaks quite highly of them.

And considering that every one of the complaints, including yours, fails to state any facts, means they're probably doing nothing wrong.

You placed an order from Australia for goods in the US, so you obviously could have paid with a credit card. Most of us in the US know enough to use a credit card when dealing with a new merchant, because here, if the merchant does not respond you contact the cc company and ask for a chargeback. If the merchant doesn't explain things to them within 30 days, you get your money back, the merchant gets demerits, and you get to keep whatever you got.

So, your complaint comes across just like the other ones on that site. Sour grapes. No details, nothing to indicate the seller did anything wrong.

Bitching on a web forum won't gain you anything. Filing a complaint with your credit card company, or learning to USE a credit card, might get you some results.
mitiempo likes this.
Old 12-01-2013

Hi hellosailor,
I understand what your saying so here are the facts.

I placed an order for parts from that company on 3rd Nov. The total cost of the order was $US295 and it consisted of a total of 14 items for my boat including 10 S/Steel bow rail fittings. I paid by credit card when I placed the order and the payment was approved and accepted.

Next day I received an email telling me the order is being processed and I can log in to their website to view my order status. I did log in and the order status said "Authorised".

A few days later I logged in again and found the order was at the same status level -"Authorised", so I sent a friendly email to the company to ask how my order was progressing but did not get a reply until the 8th Nov. which said there had been a hold up with the rail fittings and this had been resolved and I will get a tracking email in the next 24 hours. I did not receive the tracking email until the 14th Nov. and this showed me the order was shipped on that day via USPS. On 25th Nov. I received the order at my address in Australia. It was a large cardboard carton completely filled with styrene foam and containing only the four small items I had ordered. The 10 bow rail fittings were not sent, and there was no invoice included in the package. The packing slip on the carton shows the shipping cost to be $US25 whereas I was charged $49 for shipping.

I have sent several emails to the company since the 25th and have received no reply and no explanation of where the missing parts might be. In my last email to them I asked for a refund of the price of the rail fittings if they are not going to send them but still received no reply. My bank is unable to do anything about it, not sure why. Somewhat disheartened I then started googling for information on this company and was surprised by what I found. The website I linked you to is only one of several that show this company is getting a bad reputation, some complaints are pretty much similar to my own experience.

The company's address was written on the packing slip and showed it to be in Wyomissing, PA, United States. On Googlemaps the address is a house in a suburban street and for some reason the street view image of the house is blurred out! This company does not answer emails and cannot be otherwise contacted because it does not have a telephone number, so I'm stuffed and out of pocket by $100 and still need outlay more cash to purchase the 10 bow rail fittings for my boat.

I hope you can understand my frustration.

redx.
Old 12-02-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I agree with Hellosailor that your credit card company should be able to help, not necessarily your bank. It is pretty standard practice to have a sale reversed by the credit card company in situations like this.

If you are in Australia why would you buy simple items like rail fittings from the US? Aren't you in a metric country? US fittings will be 7/8" or 1".
Old 12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I agree with Hellosailor that your credit card company should be able to help, not necessarily your bank. It is pretty standard practice to have a sale reversed by the credit card company in situations like this.

If you are in Australia why would you buy simple items like rail fittings from the US? Aren't you in a metric country? US fittings will be 7/8" or 1".
Thanks for the info. Yes, we are metric here but our local steel supplier only carries 7/8" & 1" polished S/S tubing. I want to build my own bowrail and the price of fittings in the US is much lower than here. False economy though when the cheaper parts don't turn up.

redx
Old 12-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

redx, I have no idea what the credit card and consumer protection laws in Oz are, but they must exist. I would suggest exploring them since there are often 30 or 90 day periods that cut off recourse. If your bank cannot explain why they cannot begin a chargeback procedure (or whatever it is called down there) surely there are some "consumer protection" agencies or something like that to help you find and use your rights.

The google business is odd, but I've also learned not everything on the web is what it appears to be, and Google is far from infallible. Something is wrong with this picture, but once you know the procedures it should no be hard to straighten out. Oz can't be that far behind the US in protecting consumer rights.
Old 12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
redx, I have no idea what the credit card and consumer protection laws in Oz are, but they must exist. I would suggest exploring them since there are often 30 or 90 day periods that cut off recourse. If your bank cannot explain why they cannot begin a chargeback procedure (or whatever it is called down there) surely there are some "consumer protection" agencies or something like that to help you find and use your rights.

The google business is odd, but I've also learned not everything on the web is what it appears to be, and Google is far from infallible. Something is wrong with this picture, but once you know the procedures it should no be hard to straighten out. Oz can't be that far behind the US in protecting consumer rights.
My thanks go to everyone who replied to this thread. I have revisited my bank and explained the situation and given them all the details. This time they have initiated a dispute through my cc company which they say can take up to 45 days to resolve. Hopefully, something positive will result.

I might add I have not yet lost faith in shopping with US companies, I have had some excellent service from several in the past and am impressed by the quality of the products purchased.

Redx.
Old 12-03-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I think most internet companies are good, like any retailer taking care of their customers. They want to be around for a while and know very well what word of mouth - or internet - can do if everyone is not pleased.

But there will always be fly by night businesses, whether brick and mortar or .com that are there for the quick buck and don't give a damn.

Good luck.

And always pay with a credit card.
Old 12-03-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
And always pay with a credit card.
That chargeback feature is very handy. Being an informed consumer and using those words will frequently get you an immediate response from the vendor.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 12-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

Anyone can screw up an order, the real measure of a company is when they fix it. Or not.

If you still have the original box, packing materials, etc., you might want to look at the weight on the shipping label, and compare that to the actual weight.

Since your missing pieces are stainless steel and presumably have some weight to them, if the box you got weighs what the label says it weighs, then you have proof that something was not shipped to you.

In addition, even if there's a weight discrepancy on the box (i.e. if the shipper says 6 pounds and the box weighs only 3) pretty much every box from every carrier (except our postal service) is actually weighed in transit at least once when it goes into the first depot. And at that point the tracking number and weight are recorded and the shipper is usually billed by the actual weight--not the weight they entered. So if there are discrepancies, it is also possible that the real weight can still be determined from shipping records. You might have to file charges of postal fraud in order to get those--but they do exist. Just the threat of "Do I have to file charges to obtain the records to confirm this?" may bring someone around, because those charges would cost way more than simply fixing the order.

If you have the whole box and packing, weigh it, advise the card company, that helps substantiate your claim that you were shorted.