SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

dead battery charger

920 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  wmjr 
#1 ·
My 26 year old ferroresonant Sea Ranger battery charger died. The Maine Sail/Compass Marine endorsed Sterling Pro Charge Ultra is looking good. I currently have two group 24 Gel batteries that are about 4 years old and look to be good for a long? while. (but I do need more amps)

I want to go to the "one house bank with a backup/starting battery that maybe never gets used" battery switch set up (also Maine Sail inspired). I would buy group 27 or 31 US DCXC batteries for house.

With this charger could I have the house group/usual starter be wet cells and the standby/reserve be my old gels? Can the three outputs of the charger be programmed separately?

I think the answer is no.

If no is true it leads me to buy three group 27 wet batteries (2 everything batteries 1 reserve starter) and the 20 amp charger $700. ($150 each for three batteries and $250 charger) Throw out the usable gel batteries?

If the answer is yes I would lean to buying two group 31 wet batteries and the 30 amp charger. $700 ($200 each for two house/starter batteries and $300 for charger) backed up by the gels that I have now as the reserve. Gel cell batteries seem to last a long time when you never use them.

I also have a very old West Marine battery combiner and an old Ample power 3 step regulator that are currently used in the charging system if that helps anything somehow.

WMJR
1987 Pacific Seacraft 31

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.