Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Shore Power-SmartPlug vs. 1938 (long post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Although I generally don't like "buried" devices like that and would prefer to see some glaringly obvious pointer to it, i.e. so that any idiot unfamiliar with it could figure out it was there and had tripped, even in poor light without reading glasses. Something like a big bright red flashing LED when it was tripped. Or a SonAlert, or both. (He can send me a couple after those are in production, thank you.)
Unfortunately the thermal breaker needs to be protected, thus it is buried in the potted epoxy so that it can remain reliable. Adding more lights etc. just adds to the cost and complexity of the product and people already complain about the cost.... I suspect when you see no shore power that would be a good indication that either the dock breaker is tripped or that the SmarPlug has gone off on temp...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Edison's competitors were apparently right after all. That mystical oscillating AC electricity is just lying in wait, leaping out of the sockets to kill you in the night.
Actually, that was Edison's assertion...

from AC/DC: The Tesla?Edison Feud | Mental Floss
Quote:
Edison’s least favorite of Tesla’s “impractical” ideas was the concept of using alternating current (AC) technology to bring electricity to the people. Edison insisted that his own direct current (DC) system was superior, in that it maintained a lower voltage from power station to consumer, and was, therefore, safer. But AC technology, which allows the flow of energy to periodically change direction, is more practical for transmitting massive quantities of energy, as is required by a large city, or hub of industry, say. At the time, DC technology only allowed for a power grid with a one-mile radius from the power source. The conflict between the two methods and their masters came to be known as the War of Currents, forever immortalized by the band AC/DC.
I went to the Edison museum last week...

... And now; back to our regularly scheduled program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-30-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We love our 30a Smart Plug system. We have a 75 footer that stays on dock. This one is an end to end Smart Plug product. (they have a number of these 75's in stock but don't advertise them, you can get a good deal it) We took our old cord and added the Smart Plug adapter to it. This one travels with our boat. It also works great. While putting on the adapter kit, the housing cracked. Smart Plug followed right up on this issue and provided a new one. Great service!

I actually went to their office in Seattle as I was in the neighborhood. Really a great group of folks there, all big time cruisers.

Last edited by kellysails; 01-30-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Maine-
"when you see no shore power that would be a good indication that either the dock breaker is tripped or " Absolutely. Assuming you know that's not just another fancy power cord. But if the person stumbling about in the dark doesn't know about that cord, or has forgotten about that cord...The great idea becomes an added problem instead, as they stumble about trying to figure out what is happening. No doubt the cost is always going to be a problem but at least cost is a visible one. (G)

eh-
Thanks! All the Ac current in the walls surrounding me, has ruined my memory.

I suppose, if SmartPlug could work out a really aggressive patent licensing arrangement, so that "anyone" could use their design as a standard, that would open the door for insurers to give discounts to marinas installing them on poles, which in turn would open a door to replacing the existing standard.