Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014

tatracy is on a distinguished road
Re: Fusing Batteries

Thanks Maine Sail. On the ground side. In the USE Switch setup, do I run a common negative cable between the house and reserve batteries in addition to a negative run to the Engine ground?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatracy View Post
Thanks Maine Sail. On the ground side. In the USE Switch setup, do I run a common negative cable between the house and reserve batteries in addition to a negative run to the Engine ground?
Yes house>start>engine neg are all tied together. The only time this would get tricky is if you needed a shunt for the house ban for a battery monitor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-07-2014

Ok, *hopefully* one last question on fusing. I will have 200a terminal fuses on each battery, currently I will have 1AWG wire from house battery to 1/B/2 switch, and 4AWG from backup battery (it's what I have at this point, but will eventually upgrade to 1AWG). Will add echo charger connected at switch 1 & 2 posts per suggestion.

Starter cable will run from Common post on switch, currently 4AWG, also to be upgraded to 1AWG. AM I good to connect the starter cable without an addition fuse, on the assumption that the terminal fuses will protect the circuit from battery to starter in case of a short? I'm struggling with determining which fuse type to use and how to mount if I DO fuse the starter cable.
Old 04-07-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

If you are looking to upgrade the 4 gauge wiring, I recommend genuinedealz.com for custom battery cables. The quality and price are both excellent, and I used the savings to upgrade the cable gauge a bit (both batteries now connected to the switch with 2/0)

Note that although your starter is 75A continuous, there will be a surge of higher current to get the engine turning over. This is when voltage drops in the cable can be noticable if the wiring gauge (or connections) are marginal. BTDT.
Old 04-10-2014

Thumbs down Re: Fusing Batteries

Quote:
Ok, *hopefully* one last question on fusing. I will have 200a terminal fuses on each battery, currently I will have 1AWG wire from house battery to 1/B/2 switch, and 4AWG from backup battery (it's what I have at this point, but will eventually upgrade to 1AWG). Will add echo charger connected at switch 1 & 2 posts per suggestion.

Starter cable will run from Common post on switch, currently 4AWG, also to be upgraded to 1AWG. AM I good to connect the starter cable without an addition fuse, on the assumption that the terminal fuses will protect the circuit from battery to starter in case of a short? I'm struggling with determining which fuse type to use and how to mount if I DO fuse the starter cable.
Bumping back up on inquiry regarding fusing the starter cable at the 1/2/B switch.
Old 04-10-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Bumping back up on inquiry regarding fusing the starter cable at the 1/2/B switch.
No need for additional fuse..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-11-2014

Thank you all for the help with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
fuse battery blue seas