Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: LED Navigation lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Best quality Led nav lights I have seen are Lopolight. Haven't found a brand
that comes close to these.
LOPOLIGHT Navigation lights
Wait until you start having the failures.....

Very well constructed but unfortunately not the most reliable LED's I've installed.. The company does however stand behind the product, very well, but when the failed light is at the top of a spar the owner still pays the labor.........

I have a dead one sitting right in front of me as I type..... Our club launches went through six or seven.... Lopo replaced them all but we got sick of replacing them so we switched the launches over to AquaSignal. No failures as of yet...
stam22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-11-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

COLREG compliance sets a terribly low bar for nav lights. Any light that isn't also certified (by the maker) to well exceed COLREG small craft specs, is a copout.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Imanna Labs, the largest tester of navigation lights in the US, fails navigation lights all the time due to not meeting the standards whether for burn-in, intensity, horizontal sectors, vertical sectors etc.... For example some of the Dr. LED bubs that have USCG certification in an AS Series 40 DO NOT have the same certification when used on a sailboat. Why? They don't meet the cut offs when heeled.

I know this because I was looking into developing a line of navigation lights and part of the process was speaking to Imanna to get all the ducks lined up.. I was surprised to find out that testing is not as expensive as manufacturers make it sound.

Even on a small production run it was around 25˘ added wholesale cost per fixture... As the production run goes up that can drop to 1˘ or less. If it was easy there would be a lot more navigation lights that say USCG or ABYC A-16 on it. There is a reason so many "navigation" lights out there are not certified and this is usually because they don't pass testing. After they fail many a sleazy manufacturer decide to sell them anyway, because they can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2014
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Wait until you start having the failures.....

Very well constructed but unfortunately not the most reliable LED's I've installed.. The company does however stand behind the product, very well, but when the failed light is at the top of a spar the owner still pays the labor.........

I have a dead one sitting right in front of me as I type..... Our club launches went through six or seven.... Lopo replaced them all but we got sick of replacing them so we switched the launches over to AquaSignal. No failures as of yet...
Interesting, when we're these lights purchased or when we're they manufactured? They did have issues with their lights in the early years but that was almost 10 years ago. They are putting them on mega yacht and military vessels, I can't imagine them being so unreliable.

From what I was told by the US distributer today, they have fixed the potting issue with the wiring and now each light comes with its own sealed wire lead that is about a meter long. Then they have put in new circuitry to prevent electrical mishaps and dirty current that would otherwise harm the lights. Plus, I think they have fixed the problem with a ssb interference causing the lights to fail.

Also, not to offend, but were the lights installed per manufacturer instructions? I have read that if not followed correctly they can cause issues.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Interesting, when we're these lights purchased or when we're they manufactured? They did have issues with their lights in the early years but that was almost 10 years ago. They are putting them on mega yacht and military vessels, I can't imagine them being so unreliable.

From what I was told by the US distributer today, they have fixed the potting issue with the wiring and now each light comes with its own sealed wire lead that is about a meter long. Then they have put in new circuitry to prevent electrical mishaps and dirty current that would otherwise harm the lights. Plus, I think they have fixed the problem with a ssb interference causing the lights to fail.
As I understand it Lopolights have been improved and they say the problems are behind them. I guess time will tell.

An alternative is possibly DHR but I don't believe that they have yet produced Led lights in the category you are looking for. I have seen their new commercial Led nav lights and they are impressive - but the pricing makes Lopolights look pretty inexpensive.

Here is a link to DHR: http://www.dhr.nl/index.php

Last edited by mitiempo; 02-11-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have had several very bad experiences, including almost running down a sailboat in the Anegada Passage (I was on a freighter) with vessels with tricolor masthead lights, so I applaud your decision to go with the much more intelligent, vertical set up.
Having almost been run down by a MSC cargo ship in broad daylight with the sails up and the AIS transmitter blipping away I would caution that lights are not enough. IMHO a red/green on the mast and deck lights isn't going to make a lot of difference compared to a tricolor. In chatting with several ships in the open ocean I was told that they could not see my deck lights due to wave action until they were very close.

Most big ships at night are easy to spot because they are lit up like Christmas. The exception is ships carrying hazardous cargo. They seem to fall into the "only the required lights, mate" I presume as a hedge against an electrical failure that results in a fire/explosion.

My solution is to light up "big time" if I am concerned that a ship can not see me. I have halogen lights at deck level that light up the sails. If they can't figure out from 1,000 sq ft of sail that I am a sailboat we are beyond hope. I have also added a long strip of reflective tape (the same stuff that is on your life jacket) down the side of the mast to reflect any light aimed in my general direction.

In traveling the Delaware Bay one night - an area with a lot of ship traffic - I overheard a conversation between several of the commercial ships. We were chatting about where I would duck at out the way as 8 ships - 5 in one direction - 3 in the other - were going to pass each other. Of course that was exactly where I was. At the time I only had deck mounted navigation lights and the AIS. There was a second sailboat in the mix but the commercial ships were not concerned about her. They said: "she is easy to see." The reason was that she had white lights on both her top and bottom spreaders. This has led me to the conclusion that adding additional "working" lights is a far better idea than being concerned about the specific characteristics of my navigation lights. With LEDs this has become more feasible as one can add a number of lights and still keep the amperage draw low. In the old days such a solution would most likely drain the batteries before dawn.

The trade off of course is visibility. The darker your ship the better your night vision so the better you can see. The brighter the ship the easier it is for others to see you. I admit that I have not come to a personal conclusion as to what is the right balance.

As I prattle on let me shift the scenario. Another big concern for me is seeing and being seen in a crowed anchorage at night. When approaching an anchorage most people are not looking 65 feet in the air for your anchor light. Even if they are looking up anchor lights from the deck of a sailboat look a lot like stars. Then of course there are the idiots who don't bother to turn on their anchor lights (not to be confused with those that turn on their strobes "to be seen" not realizing that in the US this is a mayday call. ) The solution for many of us is to purchase solar powered walkway lights from the local hardware store and mount them at deck level at night. At least that way there are lights on your boat at the altitude that correlates to where people are actually looking.

Fair winds and following seas

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
As I understand it Lopolights have been improved and they say the problems are behind them. I guess time will tell.

An alternative is possibly DHR but I don't believe that they have yet produced Led lights in the category you are looking for. I have seen their new commercial Led nav lights and they are impressive - but the pricing makes Lopolights look pretty inexpensive.

Here is a link to DHR: DHR, Navigation lights, Searchlights; Air horns; Nautical lamps
Yes they told me they had been improved multiple times and I still had failures on the replacements. Our club launches see more use than most boat and they use running lights for lots of hours per season as they are often on all day long from 7:30am to 9:30PM......

The replacement I have in my office right now is a replacement of a replacement from two years ago. The most chronic failures I see are a loss of some or all LED emitters. I had some early ones where the epoxy had so much cracking that the lights became a tad occluded.

As I said they have excellent customer service, no complaints at all on that front. It just becomes a PITA to replace so many. I do hope they get the bugs worked out, and they may have by now, I'll let you know in a few years after I replace this latest one. The lights are beautifully crafted I have just become a tad gun shy...

BTW the Landing School, one of the best boat building schools in the country, did the original Lopo install on our club launches and they were done by the book. Subsequent installs were also done by the book.

Old 02-12-2014

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Dr. LED's certified bulbs"
Small but important point: The USCG does not certify bulbs. Never.

The bulbs may be certified as part of a specific installation, i.e. "certified compliant when installed according to directions in brand X, Model xxx lamps" but the bulbs themselves are not certified, nor certifiable...
Semantics, but thanks for the clarification to the masses.

This certification thang is really all about liability in the event of an accident, and probably only one of a great loss in property, or even more so in life. There is a plethora of uncertified (COLREG, USCG, NMSC, etc.) replacement bulbs (incandescent and LED) that you can buy for your certified fixtures, but this will render them non-compliant in the eyes of the court, especially if the altercation goes nuclear.
Old 02-13-2014
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail, I hear ya.. I guess I'll give them a shot, I know LED tech has come a long way in 2 years. I guess I'll be the guinea pig and let yall know how it goes.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This discussion has me wondering about putting an all-round-red at the masthead, probably stacked sandwiched with the all-round white anchor light, and a pair of 180-degree green on each side of the mast about 1m down. At that height shadowing from the sails would be minimal if at all, and the mechanical aspects would be easier and more robust than adding a post above (and interfering with the VHF antenna).
Should probably stick with the regulations on the arc each light should go through.
Old 02-13-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Zeph - That sounds like a good idea: Have lights mounted on the spreaders, or pointing up from the deck that will light up your sails. You could normally leave them off. When a ship approaches, you could light them up. I don't think I would regularly sail with them on.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.