Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-13-2014

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Batteries and charger ideas?

Hi, Folks- I have a unique setup, but have tons of ideas from a number of sources (some are a bit dated, though), so I'd like to solicit some opinions from you all if you have time. My boat is an Olson 30, and I currently have 2 x 12v deep cycle marine batteries from Walmart. They've served me well for the past year- I just plug in the solar trickle-charger when we come in and done. One long weekend, we sailed for 3 days on one of the 75ah batteries running a Raymarine e7D plotter, 25w VHF, nav lights (all LED) a Ray ST-2000 autopilot and stereo for almost the entire time, and still had 12+ volts left when we got back- just sailed out on a reach straight out into the gulfstream, then came back; great trip, no problems.

I'm now thinking of doing a race (Bermuda 1-2) in June, 2015, and I think I need to replace these batteries with 2 x 6v golf cart batteries (Batteries plus is selling a Duracell/Procell 230 ah golf cart batteries for $100 each), but also need to address re-charging with something. The only additions/modifications to the system will be a Raymarine ev-100 tiller pilot, and the ST-60 wind instrument and transducer, all of which will be interconnected with Seatalk-ng. I will not (at least I don't think I will) add a ssb radio at this time- I've researched this quite a bit, and my preference is sat phone- two main reasons; portability and cost (I can rent). As far as charging options go- I've debated solar panels (Solbian, Aurinco, et al), but I just don't think that would be worth the expense for a race that will last only one week (and that is a long estimate), and I'm thinking of just using my portable Yamaha 2000w generator to top off the batteries if they really need it. Another option is to being a spare (3rd) battery.

I think that's about it- unless I've forgotten something...

What think ya'll?

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Batteries and charger ideas?

For just one race I would look at just using your main engine to top off the batteries if needed check rules but shouldn't break rules as long as you don't use the engine for propultion. That's about the cheapest way I can think of doing it the next best would be your portable Genny just secure it on the stern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014

Should have clarified- my main "engine" is a 5hp outboard (and no means of connecting a battery for recharging, like some do).
Old 02-13-2014

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Or get four 230ah/6V have 460ah/12v and maybe a slightly larger solar trickle charger, Amazon has a 15 watt for just under $100.00

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 02-13-2014

Someone (via email) is suggesting I avoid 6v batteries. Reason being- if one goes down, then the whole system goes down (unless I have enough back up batteries)... I may just stick with 2 x 105ah 12v deep cycle batteries wired in parallel, and keep one spare on hand.
Old 02-13-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You have two, 12v 75AH batteries, yes? That's a total of 12V 150AH.

And you plan to buy two 6V 230AH batteries, which would give you 12V 230AH, a good 50%more AH than what you have.

What you need to do before you even look at that, is spend some time with a pencil working up your actual energy budget. Every device that you will use has a power rating, in watts or amps. And you can figure out, or guestimate, how many hours you will use each device.

For example, if you're racing at night, you will be using nav lights. You may have one 20-watt combination light, or three 20W lamps. Sunset to sunrise may be 12 hours on race day, so those lights could take 20W for 12 hours (240 watt-hours) or 60W for 12 hours (720 watt-hours). You have to run the numbers. Add anything else you may use, autopilot, radio, stereo, cabin lights. A VHF is usually figured as 90% on receive/squelch only, 10% on transmit, and the manual will give power consumption for both.

Once you figure out all the watts or amps you will burn, compare THAT to your battery capacity, and only then do you worry about having enough power or needing to buy more. Remember that lighter is faster, so the less battery you lug around, the faster you will race. Sometimes all you need to do is replace all your lighting with LED lighting, and good LEDs aren't cheap, but then you may be able to stick with smaller lighter batteries and not need to buy anything else.

If you're using an ice box...also consider shifting to pre-frozen foods so you don't need ice. Or use dry ice, it is lighter than water (block) ice. "More" isn't always better or faster. If you run the batteries down to 80% discharge instead of the more typical 30-50%, that's OK for occasional use like "one big race" too.
Old 02-13-2014

I actually have one 75 ah and one 95 ah battery. The 75 is old, and not holding a charge for very long. Although I use it for local racing, I am going to return that (as a core charge) when I buy the new batteries. My energy budget is anywhere between 350-550 watt-hours- the variation is due to sea conditions and the effect they have on the autopilot. That is by far my biggest draw on the batts- the lights are all LED's (inside and out- a single masthead tri-color LED), and the e7D draws so little, and would be considered near-negligible due to intermittent use. So, worse case scenario (just to play it safe), my watt budget is safely within 550 watt-hours unless I'm in storm conditions, and then I'm likely hand-steering for a good part of the sailing and burning "spaghetti-watts" out of my own musculature :-). No refrigeration- I like the dry-ice idea.. hadn't thought of that..
Old 02-13-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Autopilot: Not banned under the rules for that race?
Old 02-13-2014

Nope- this is Bermuda 1-2. They'd better allow it in the SI's or I'm not racin'!
Old 02-13-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Your energy budget is for the duration of the race, not per day, correct? I have similar electrical loads to you (X5 autopilot and e7d are my biggest loads) and 550wh will last me many days.

A 30 watt panel is pretty small and does a great job of keeping up with my loads, even here in the north. I do use a better than average Genasun MPPT charge controller. The whole setup, including mounting hardware, was under $200.

That plus a new battery to replace you aging one sounds like it would meet your needs.