Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Needed: Battery charger with equalization/desulfation mode

I have a built-in ProMariner ProNautic charger on my boat. I just ran it in equalizing mode and it does an outstanding job.

I would also like to have the opportunity to equalize/desulfate batteries at home, both when I take the boat batteries home and for various other batteries (cars, emergency communication etc). The ProNautic is a great charger but it is made for stationary use, not to schlep it around, and of course it costs at least $350.-

Is there a not-too-expensive charger with desulfate mode? I found the following online:
Amazon.com: Schumacher SSC-1000A SpeedCharge 2/6/10 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer with 50-Amp Battery Clips: Automotive Amazon.com: Schumacher SSC-1000A SpeedCharge 2/6/10 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer with 50-Amp Battery Clips: Automotive

It claims to be fully automatic and to detect sulfated batteries and then apply corrective measures. And the price is right.

Does that work?

Any alternatives?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Needed: Battery charger with equalization/desulfation mode

Schumacher chargers are low quality and some have bounced to a high voltage and destroyed batteries. Very inconsistent. There are a few posts about this by Maine Sail.

You usually get what you pay for.
Old 02-23-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

The best tool for equalization & charging at home, IMHO, is a bench top power supply. You don't need one any larger than 10A and 30V. (they usually come in 15V or 30V and 15V is too low for an EQ so you buy the 30V)..

*Once charged to full at 14.4V - 14.6V allow the current to taper to where it stops declining. (usually sub 1A)

*Remove battery caps

*Adjust voltage to 15.5V (measured at the battery terminals)

*Adjust current dial DOWN so the power supply can just barely maintain 15.5V at the battery terminals. (this prevents throwing 10A, 20A, 30A + into a dead short should the battery fail during the EQ). All that is necessary is enough current to maintain 15.5V. This is one reason I am not a huge fan of using a "one size fit all" battery charger as the current can not be manipulated.

*Stop at two hours, let battery rest, check specific gravity.

* Repeat again if necessary.

*If you absolutely have to walk away during an equalization charge TURN IT OFF... Alternatively you can use a wall timer, but I prefer to shut it off...

Mastech 3010EX

The Schumacher chargers can be flat out dangerous and can ruin batteries. Caveat emptor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-23-2014 at 08:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

+1

I agree completely with MaineSail re: equalization procedures in a home/shop environment.

In addition, I agree that the Mastech power supplies are top-notch. I've had the HY5020 model for several years. It can provide up to 50 volts DC @ 20 amps.

Very useful and adaptable for many needs. I've even used this one on two occasions to provide 36 volt power aboard big Hatteras cruisers when the batteries were bad/being changed out.

Bill
Old 02-23-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The best tool for equalization & charging at home, IMHO, is a bench top power supply. You don't need one any larger than 10A and 30V. (they usually come in 15V or 30V and 15V is too low for an EQ so you buy the 30V)..

*Once charged to full at 14.4V - 14.6V allow the current to taper to where it stops declining. (usually sub 1A)

*Remove battery caps

*Adjust voltage to 15.5V (measured at the battery terminals)

*Adjust current dial DOWN so the power supply can just barely maintain 15.5V at the battery terminals. (this prevents throwing 10A, 20A, 30A + into a dead short should the battery fail during the EQ). All that is necessary is enough current to maintain 15.5V. This is one reason I am not a huge fan of using a "one size fit all" battery charger as the current can not be manipulated.

*Stop at two hours, let battery rest, check specific gravity.

* Repeat again if necessary.

*If you absolutely have to walk away during an equalization charge TURN IT OFF... Alternatively you can use a wall timer, but I prefer to shut it off...

Mastech 3010EX

The Schumacher chargers can be flat out dangerous and can ruin batteries. Caveat emptor...
Thank you, I was hoping you would chime in.

I will order the Mastech power supply and I just saved your instructions. It is a lot more money but I prefer to have the right tool for the job.

I will also need to order a new hydrometer. I have one that is perfectly fine but somehow the rubber cork with the little piece of hose that allows to suck up the acid went missing. Oh well.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 02-23-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo