Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kd3pc
  • 1 Post By mitiempo
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By deniseO30
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Arrrg

Well finally, one of the 2, 12 volt grp27 batteries went bad. I had too many batteries anyway.
This is today's plan. (since I'm counting pennies lately)
Keep the 2, 6 volt grp24 that are nearly new for the house bank; get one grp29 or 27 to replace the 2, 12volt grp27s. The only "heavy load" will be the new refrigeration unit that runs less then 5 amps on 12 volt. gotta love that!! (36 degrees in 2 +- hrs from a warm icebox)

Sound like a plan? Most 30ftish cruisers seem to have to grp 27's one for each bank.

Lost my passion for sailing

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Arrrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

Lost my passion for sailing
Sounds like a great plan, but more importantly....be happy, it didn't happen out somewhere and that you don't have 4D or 8D batteries. They are a two or three person deal on a Sabre 38.

Find something to renew the passion!!
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 04-14-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Keep the 2, 6 volt grp24 that are nearly new for the house bank; get one grp29 or 27 to replace the 2, 12volt grp27s. The only "heavy load" will be the new refrigeration unit that runs less then 5 amps on 12 volt. gotta love that!! (36 degrees in 2 +- hrs from a warm icebox)
Do you mean golf cart batteries by "6 volt grp24"?

For starting you don't need more than a group 24 12 volt start battery. The two 6 volts (golf carts?) make a good house bank.
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 04-14-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Yes Brian, I have 2 6 volt Golf Cart batteries for the house bank A really hated getting rid of the 2 T105s they replaced, but they were both bad. . I think everyone agrees one 12 volt group 27 or 29 are all that's needed for the starter on the engine.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes Brian, I have 2 6 volt Golf Cart batteries for the house bank A really hated getting rid of the 2 T105s they replaced, but they were both bad. . I think everyone agrees one 12 volt group 27 or 29 are all that's needed for the starter on the engine.
Denise

All you need is a group 24. Even that is more than necessary to start a small diesel.
Old 04-15-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Denise, the plan sounds fine. It seems that boat expenses are causing real stress for you. Why not sell the Oday and get a smaller day sailor, without systems? Maybe even a trailer sailor, if you have a place to put it at home. I've always thought a 20ft cat rigged boat with a small cabin with porta potti would be a terrific trailer sailor. This assumes you still wish to be sailing.
deniseO30 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-15-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

I've written and deleted the "sail boat for sale" ad more then 5 times now! Groans. Going back to a smaller boat will never be an option LOL I'm 65 now. getting by with my SS and rent from housemates Selling the house and getting an even larger boat was the plan. I think not meeting my self set goals is the main source of my stress.
jimgo likes this.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 04-15-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Being disappointed in oneself is a self inflicted wound. You are the judge and jury, pardon yourself. You own a house and boat, which literally puts you in the top 10% or 20% of wealth in the country. Not so bad. You know that nearly half the country has a nearly zero net worth? Settle into a program where you can be happy. If you love sailing, just pick the spot you can afford to eliminate the financial stress. You will enjoy it more. If you don't, find something you can enjoy. If sailing reminds you of a lost dream, nothing wrong with finding another avocation. Maybe get a part time job in the marine industry (West Marine?). A little extra spending money for the boat and probably access to good discounts. Good luck.
jimgo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-15-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

Thank you. Yes I'm getting a bit more settled about it. I can always go back to building small craft, something I've always loved.

my current "project"!
Old 04-15-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

From the thread title, I thought you were just doing a pirate impersonation.

Hang in there, Denise. It sounds like you're having to pick your priorities, too. I'm in the same boat (pun intended).
1975 Albacore 15