Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: would you buy used AGMs?

i would not buy used agms, but i did buy costco 105 golf cart batteries. they so far are strong an d only 2 yrs old....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"but i did buy costco 105 golf cart batteries. "
See? That's why your engine broke, the golf electricity got into it and messed things up.
(VBG)
Old 04-18-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I would not buy used batteries of any kind unless they were very close to free or I knew exactly what had been done to them. Right now AGM batteries are my least favorite types anyway. IMHO they would not exist except they are drop-in replacements for airplane and car starting batteries. Gels would die of overcharging in most cars and airplanes. Other than lack of tolerance for high voltage I find gels superior in every way. My 4D gel house battery lasted over a DECADE and the 4D AGM that replaced it is not doing real well at year 5. I found a gel U1 starting battery once on our recycle pile and gave it a try. This battery was 4 years old, dead, and on the trash pile. I got 6 years out of that one too after a charge

* if anyone just has to have AGMs, group 31 AGMs are a big thing now for trucks that are not allowed to idle while parked. Sam's Club has them for something like $167 or so. They are East-Penn Dekas and are MUCH cheaper than the Worst Marine ones, which are the same with another decal stuck on.

EDIT - batteries are expensive and heavy. No one is taking them out just on a whim - they had to suck to get someone motivated to haul all that lead.

Last edited by Coquina; 04-18-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"but i did buy costco 105 golf cart batteries. "
See? That's why your engine broke, the golf electricity got into it and messed things up.
(VBG)
aawww, holygeorge gosh n golly, i thunk it was the sunkboat injector pump i had.....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-18-2014

rmeador is on a distinguished road

It appears the EGC2/GC15 batteries are going at Sam's Club for $112.68 these days (Duracell® Golf Car Battery - Group Size 230 - Sam's Club). I've also found what I believe is a GC25 at Batteries Plus -- can Maine Sail or someone else who knows about these things confirm that this is in fact the Deka GC25? It has a different sort of label, but it's a Duracell brand. GC125 Golf - Utility 6V Battery - Wing Nut Terminal - Duracell SLIGC125 - Batteries Plus I'm now leaning towards one of these two options. Even if I had to buy the Sam's Club membership, the savings on a single battery vs the price quoted by Rolls would pay for the membership! Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Our house bank is a 440 ah gel. Configured that was at the factory. Not a lot of manufacturer choices to replace a couple of seasons back, but the original set lasted 8 years. I could have easily gone two more with just a bit less capacity.

I like gels for their low self discharge over the winter, as I do not remove the batteries. I prefer to top off every 6 to 8 weeks. I went 12 weeks this past winter and they seem fine.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-18-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

FWIW, I'd expect that most of the private-label batteries are just that, private label over a common product. After all, that's how battery distributors also give out warranty replacement batteries, slapping a "Honda" or whatever sticker on the same SKU that is used for their own brand name product.

BUT, private label products for large companies (Costco, Sam's, Sears, whoever) are often built custom, to a contract price, and if someone says "I need to knock two percent off that cost" it gets taken out, somewhere. So it is worth looking carefully, comparing weight and ratings, etc., when a private label product looks just like the original brand name. Even if they're different they may still be a great bargain.

FWIW.
Old 04-18-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

When I had my gel batteries I had no shore power and they routinely supplied occasional lights and radio power from December to March and then started the engine no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Our house bank is a 440 ah gel. Configured that was at the factory. Not a lot of manufacturer choices to replace a couple of seasons back, but the original set lasted 8 years. I could have easily gone two more with just a bit less capacity.

I like gels for their low self discharge over the winter, as I do not remove the batteries. I prefer to top off every 6 to 8 weeks. I went 12 weeks this past winter and they seem fine.

Old 04-18-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
I've also found what I believe is a GC25 at Batteries Plus -- can Maine Sail or someone else who knows about these things confirm that this is in fact the Deka GC25? It has a different sort of label, but it's a Duracell brand.

That's where I got mine and yes they are the Deka units.

I abuser mine for the first year, and maintained them well with solar the second. After sitting on the boat all year they were still at 12.5V.
Old 04-19-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Oddly enough the ONLY thing, that is non-routine maintenance, that has gone wrong with my Prius in 140K is the AGM accessory battery and it is now about ready again...... Nothing but the AGM accessory battery has failed on that car.

My wife's car, with 170K, still has the factory original flooded Honda battery that is now 8 years old........
I had motor mounts fail on my Prius, within about a year of purchase. Also, it has more rattles and clicks than I like.

FYI, my battery failed at about 80k miles. Other than buying at the Toyota dealer, the only 3rd party replacement that I found was an Optima battery ($147 at streetsideauto.com with free shipping).

If you find a lower price replacement, even flooded, let me know because I will need to replace my wife's Prius battery. However, note that the battery should have the little tube outlet for venting hydrogen out of the passenger area. The Optima does have that.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)