Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Removing a birds nest behind the panel!

The mess behind the panel in my Yankee has always bothered me.
Because Yankees are narrow, space it tight. This is really evident in the small space behind the switch panel, where they crammed the wiring for the switch, a neg. bus and PO's supplied power to wires that were not switched and had inline fuses (taking up more space!). There really is no other place for the panel on the boat. However, there is hardly space to work on, much less organize anything behind it.

I plan to:
1. Move the Neg. bus into a space about 4 feet below the switch, under a set of drawers. If necessary the frame for the drawers is easily removed for access. However I could work on the wires with only the drawers removed.
2. Move a fused barrier strip into the same space, for the hots that are not fused at the panel.
The only wires remaining behind the panel will be the hot that supplies the panel and the 8 wires that leave it.
3. When I get that sorted, I'll buy a new panel.

Here are pictures of the panel, the evil that lurks behind it and the space where I will install the new bus and barrier strip. I'm pointing at the space and a bus in a box (laying on the bottom of the boat) I temporarily put there. Wanted to make sure I could route the wires there and wasn't missing something. I'll install them on the wall to the left (behind the frame) and tidy up the wires. It's a simple project that should clean things up considerably.
Wonder why no one else thought of this?
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing a birds nest behind the panel!-old-switch-panel.jpg   Removing a birds nest behind the panel!-open-switch-panel.jpg   Removing a birds nest behind the panel!-area-new-fuse-bus-neg-bus.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 05-17-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Removing a birds nest behind the panel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Thoughts?

Never look behind a panel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I like the concept of moving the neg bus bar out which would remove half of the wires with it, making more room behind the panel. How many circuits are unswitched? I don't like the idea of unswitched circuits; even though they have individual fuses they can be a mess and clunky. You have a circuit named "tricolor" and "running lights". Are they duplicative? You can eliminate one of them. You are planning to replace the panel with breakers. Better in long run.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gladrags1 For This Useful Post:
L124C (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
I like the concept of moving the neg bus bar out which would remove half of the wires with it, making more room behind the panel. How many circuits are unswitched? I don't like the idea of unswitched circuits; even though they have individual fuses they can be a mess and clunky. You have a circuit named "tricolor" and "running lights". Are they duplicative? You can eliminate one of them. You are planning to replace the panel with breakers. Better in long run.
Tod
Most of the other circuits are switched, however, not at the panel. I.e., AM/FM and VHF radios and the Aux, fuel pump (used to prime the fuel line if ness). Unfortunately, most are also fused at the device. The new fuse block will allow me to fuse them closer to the batteries. ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Cover - Blue Sea Systems

I usually use the tricolor and running lights independently. Does anyone use them together?

Breakers are certainly simpler. However, Don Casey makes the point that they can fail while fuses do not. Given the fact that fused panels are still available, I assume he is not the only person that believes this. The ATC fuses used with the new block are pretty simple. Drawbacks?
Old 05-18-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Drawbacks:
If you don't have an ample stock of spares, and know where they are, you're dead until you get to a store for new ones. Other that that, fuses are simple, cheap, reliable.

I have a NOS Seadog six-fuse switched panel that I was going to put on eBay or something, pm me if you're interested. New in box, never opened or used.

Amazon.com: Sea-Dog 422110-1: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Sea-Dog 422110-1: Sports & Outdoors

If the linked image isn't working. Sea-Dog 20422110-1
Old 05-18-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

My biggest question is what are the chances of getting water in this bilge? It looks dry, but should you take on water in some quantity, will you then have to redo all those electrical connections?
L124C (05-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong with a good fuse panel like The Blue Seas ones. Most smaller boats have fuses instead of breakers, although cost is part of the reason.

I would worry about installing anything electrical too low in the boat as well. I try and keep all wiring higher than seat level if possible - exceptions are items installed low such as bilge pumps and macerators.
Old 05-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
My biggest question is what are the chances of getting water in this bilge? It looks dry, but should you take on water in some quantity, will you then have to redo all those electrical connections?
It's a good point, but that spot is about a foot above the top of the bilge and about six feet aft. If it got wet, I'd have more problems than electrical connections.

Having said that, I agree...higher is better. I found I was able to mount the gear about two feet higher than indicated in the OP, bringing the box and bus just above seat level (as mitiempo specified) . Wasn't sure the drawers would clear but they do.

It's worked out nicely so far. Access to the Neg. bus has improved 100%. I can actually see all the terminals now, work on them with both hands and even use a full screwdriver instead of a stubby if I want. I'm not kidding...It took me about a half hour and a lot of #@%*! to get one screw started in the previous location!
I'll post pictures when done.
As usual...Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by L124C; 05-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2014

Replaced the panel with a Blue Seas 1457. It was one of the few panels I found that had 8 switches and would fit in the small space available. Quality isn't great and it has the spade disconnects (which I hate!) instead of screw terminals. However it wasn't expensive and is a lot better than the old panel, which I was patching together. I could switch out smaller breakers if needed. However the 10 amp breakers supplied will work for everything on the panel. Everything that needs smaller fuses is supplied by the box below. The 1457 definitely needs the back light kit. I think Blue Seas product descriptions leave something to be desired. Need to trim it out and varnish the panel mount.

Still a bit of a birds nest behind the panel (it's a tight space). However, at least it's a red birds nest, and everything is marked!

Neg bus and Positive fuse block that now live beneath the main panel also shown. Both mounted vertically approx 2 feet above the position shown in the OP.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing a birds nest behind the panel!-2014-06-04-001-001.jpg   Removing a birds nest behind the panel!-positive-fuse-bus-beneath-panel.jpg   Removing a birds nest behind the panel!-negative-bus-below-panel.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 06-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"the spade disconnects (which I hate!) instead of screw terminals."
Having chased screws down into the bilge, personally I prefer the qd's. If you have genuine FastOn spade terminals, their patent includes a large dimple in the middle of the spade, and that dimple provides enough "jam" to ensure the spade can't pull apart by accident. (I think Ancor does the same?)

Of course a dab of liquid lectric or similar will also keep them together until someone pulls.

Tags
blue seas 1457 , main panel , wiring , yankee 30

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.