Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
eliminated engine...wheres my negative? jajaja

Guys this might seem foolish to ask but Im going down to the boat tomorrow on my ongoing project...and time is of the essence...

one thing I havent tackled yet(on my projects) is my electrical system

this is whats left of my engine/electric room

last time around I was trying to test out my system and hooking up my battery and got no juice no matter what I did to my panel

I do get juice to the bus bars on each side of this pic...not seen though

my newb question is Im pretty sure the engine block(old palmer) was used as a common ground

so what would be the simplest way of getting a common ground now, going back to battery terminal? ground plate in bilge? what?

...at this point my main goal is to eliminate all ENGINE related wiring which is the big mess you see here...the panel has the old style breakers with fuses...

Im quite limited in boat eletrical systems...I can get my way around motorcyle looms and stuff but never have really tackled a full "rewire" job on any of my boats...

any and all help appreciated...

thanks
christian

ps. if it helps any I have no external grounding strap or copper plate, and none of my thruhulls are bonded

I do however have one aft keel bolt that has a wire to it...I do not know if it is a lightning ground or what...

my keel is iron...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christian.hess; 05-18-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2014

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Re: eliminated engine...wheres my negative? jajaja

so what would be the simplest way of getting a common ground now, going back to battery terminal?

Yes.

Done.

Don't use anything else.

It always was your electrical ground which was then, itself, grounded to the engine.
christian.hess likes this.
christian.hess (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

What Stu said - he beat me to it.
Old 05-18-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Christian, as an aside, is your shaft log made of bronze? If so, you may want to consider using that as a ground.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-18-2014
new dad!

awesome thats what I wanted to hear

first thing is first eliminate the engine harness crap...

thanks guys

Old 05-18-2014
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Christian, as an aside, is your shaft log made of bronze? If so, you may want to consider using that as a ground.
I think it is...jejeje

Old 05-18-2014
new dad!

I want this as KISS as possible, if possible!

Old 05-18-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I want this as KISS as possible, if possible!
Christian, if you want KISS as possible and you don't mind having wires in the engine bay, to save yourself much effort and make it easier for someone if (when!) the engine goes back in, I'd suggest:

Instead of going all the way back to the battery terminal like Stu suggests, just mount a plain old bolt somewhere convenient close to where the original grounding point was for the engine and hook the old ground wire(s) up to that. Google "grounding post" and use one of those if you want to do it properly.

You can also then easily bond from there to the shaft log if you want and it will be clear to anyone looking at it later exactly how it's all connected...

Last edited by Classic30; 05-18-2014 at 11:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic30 For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

Second what Classic suggests... Wrap the old engine wiring up neatly and leave in place...If you want to get fancy use a negative bus bar instead of the simple bolt...

The trick to electrical work is to never let the magic smoke out...if you see smoke you can be pretty sure that something electrical is about to quit working...

Any storm in a port...
Old 05-19-2014
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Christian, if you want KISS as possible and you don't mind having wires in the engine bay, to save yourself much effort and make it easier for someone if (when!) the engine goes back in, I'd suggest:

Instead of going all the way back to the battery terminal like Stu suggests, just mount a plain old bolt somewhere convenient close to where the original grounding point was for the engine and hook the old ground wire(s) up to that. Google "grounding post" and use one of those if you want to do it properly.

You can also then easily bond from there to the shaft log if you want and it will be clear to anyone looking at it later exactly how it's all connected...
can you help me out here(I appreciate it)

so the engine block was the common ground...was that then grounded to something else?

Ill be honest I havent looked for a ground to hull scenario on this boat...I dont see one except for that 1 bolt in the aft bilge that does have a black wire running to it...

ill need to chase that to see if it does happen to be a "post"

its quite possible the reason I got no voltages at the panel was cause all the grounds were lose and not together tied to anything

Im not a fan of bonding to the sea if you will

I dont want my thruhulls and whatnot getting current through them and whatnot and I didnt want this thread to become a lightning or no lightning hit thread

im not in a marina so im not in hot water if you will but all my boats have never had bonded thruhulls and chainplates and such

thanks

illlook up grounding post