Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2014
S/V "MACKINAC"

Maine_bill is on a distinguished road
Power for Windless

On our 1981 Pearson 35 we live strictly in a 12volt world. We have two 12 volt batteries .... Not sure of the "size" ....
We draw very few amp hours from the batteries....
We use them to start engines, VHF radio and a few 12 volt cabin lights..
We have no inverters

What will I have to consider (regarding more batteries, alternator etc??) if I want to power an electric capstan that draws, say 30 amps...

What will I need to add to my current system.... Two twelve volt batteries, battery switch (no separate house/starter battery)...that's it....very simple

More batteries,,, bigger alternator...????

Thanks
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Power for Windless

A windlass that draws 30 amps is not large enough for a 35' boat. Figure closer to 70 amps.

I have always felt that running wires suitable for the load from aft to the windlass makes the most sense. A larger battery bank is a plus. The engine will ideally always be running when the windlass is.

Bigger alternator? - depends what size you have now.

Decide on a windlass and the specifics will be easier to figure out.
Old 07-10-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

You will need to run wire to the windlass (note proper spelling) that is of suitable size to carry the load (probably #2 gauge). Keep in mind that when figuring the length of the line you have to include both to the windlass in back.
Put a suitably sized fuse on the positive side of the wiring within 6-8 inches of the battery.
Seriously, if you don't know what you are doing be safe and get some qualified help. The #1 cause of boat fires is electrical shorts and I suspect they are caused by bad wiring.

If you have room add an extra battery, either way look at the ones you have and figure out what you have, maybe add a monitor so you can determine the condition and state of charge.
Speaking of charging, you likely have the standard original alternator, putting out 35 amps at peak (i.e. somewhat less at idle). Not to worry too much because your windlass usage is in likely in the couple of minute range unless you have to reset several times.

BTW, Mtiempo/Brian up above is likely correct, a windlass drawing 30 amps (360 watt) is not going to be enough for a suitable anchor and rode weight on your 35 foot Pearson, even with a lunch hook of 35 pound anchor, 10 feet of chain and the rest rope you are looking at at LEAST a 1000w windlass (Maxwell rc8 for example).

Even at 1000w pulling your anchor up for 2-3 solid minutes won't kill your batteries - assuming you are motoring for a bit to get sailing room.
Here's a good 'how to choose' link - Choosing a Windlass - Lewmar

You can maybe get by with an underpowered windlass, but only if you are willing to run below decks and reset the breaker several times when it trips. Not fun.
Old 07-10-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_bill View Post
More batteries,,, bigger alternator...????
This is probably not a useful answer, but have you considered a manual windlass? I've had one for years on a bigger boat that yours. Works great. In the years we've had our Plath bronze windlass the only problem I've had was breaking the handle (metal fatigue). Easy to fashion a new one.

Yes, there are downsides to a manual, but balanced against the challenges of an electric (which I'm not philosophically opposed to), I'd suggest you at least seriously consider it as an option. Seatigers are fairly easy to find in the used market.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.