Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-25-2014

DBASailor is on a distinguished road
Recommendations for Battery Monitor

I'm looking to monitor a two battery bank system. One bank for the house, and one for starting. I've been looking at the SmartGauge destibuted by Balmar, and another one by Victron. What I like about the SmartGauge is I don't have to calculate the aH my battery bank can currently hold. What I like about Victron monitors they tell me the draw on the battery and as well as how well my charging system is doing. What I don't like about SmartGauge is it doesn't tell my how much draw I'm currently using and how well my current charging is doing. What I don't like about the Victron monitors is I have to manually determine how much my aH are for my battery and need to re-sink the thing as the battery gets older. What I'd like is one that automatically can calculate the aH my batteries hold regardless of age, as well as provides me additional output like how much current is being drawn out of my batteries and how well my charging system is working, whether it is the alternator on the motor, solar panels, or wind generator. Is there a single meter that is easy to install correctly and does everything I need. Or do I need to buy the SmartGauge, and another monitor to show draw and charging of my batteries. What are others doing to monitor all there batteries without breaking the bank($)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Recommendations for Battery Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBASailor View Post
I'm looking to monitor a two battery bank system. One bank for the house, and one for starting. I've been looking at the SmartGauge destibuted by Balmar, and another one by Victron. What I like about the SmartGauge is I don't have to calculate the aH my battery bank can currently hold. What I like about Victron monitors they tell me the draw on the battery and as well as how well my charging system is doing. What I don't like about SmartGauge is it doesn't tell my how much draw I'm currently using and how well my current charging is doing. What I don't like about the Victron monitors is I have to manually determine how much my aH are for my battery and need to re-sink the thing as the battery gets older. What I'd like is one that automatically can calculate the aH my batteries hold regardless of age, as well as provides me additional output like how much current is being drawn out of my batteries and how well my charging system is working, whether it is the alternator on the motor, solar panels, or wind generator. Is there a single meter that is easy to install correctly and does everything I need. Or do I need to buy the SmartGauge, and another monitor to show draw and charging of my batteries. What are others doing to monitor all there batteries without breaking the bank($)?
If you want an ammeter you can get one from Blue Sea or other sources but in the end it will cost more than a Victron BMV-700.

All that matters to battery longevity is monitoring your SOC thus the Smart Gauge is the best choice to get the most life out of your bank.

Yes the Victron Ah counters give tons of information but it is considerably more complex and perhaps 99.8% of boaters DO NOT have them properly calibrated. Thus they become informational only tools. Still not bad but far from accurate in the vast majority of installations.

When your batts are new you do okay with this but as they age the BM can exacerbate the out of synch/lack of proper programing and actually accelerate the harm being done to your bank.

If you want the best battery monitor, and one that stays calibrated to YOUR BANK, then buy the Smart Gauge..

If you absolutely need an ammeter add a Victron but DO NOT try and compare the two for SOC as the Victron will almost always be wrong.

Your start battery needs nothing more than voltage monitoring and the Smart Gauge already offers that for a second bank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-25-2014

DBASailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback read you article on the SmartGauge. Great stuff, really got me thinking how important it is to make sure the gauge always tells you the correct SOC. What I'm kind of wondering is how to also tell is the number of aH my batteries has left and how much of a draw the autopilot, or reefer, or inverter, or lights might be drawing my battery down. As how well my solar panel is charging, or the alternator. If I get the SmartGauge for the SOC, what should I do about monitoring these other things?
Old 09-12-2014

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens

Have you looked at the British NASA Marine battery monitor?

Nasa Bm2-12 Battery Monitor (12Vdc): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors Nasa Bm2-12 Battery Monitor (12Vdc): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

This can monitor two battery banks - service and engine.

I have recently fitted the NASA BM1 Compact for one battery bank, and it does what it says on the box.

Cheaper if you buy it from a UK retailer than a USA retailer -
Amazon.com: Clipper BM-2 Battery Monitor w/Shunt - 200Amp: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Clipper BM-2 Battery Monitor w/Shunt - 200Amp: Sports & Outdoors

even with shipping.

Tags
battery , monitor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.