Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
fuse popped, ARRRG

All the rewiring I did as many of you may remember? Well the cube fuses seemed ok. I wasn't overly impressed with them. Anyway. The fuse for the starter on the engine battery burned out. 125 amp, terminal loosened up "again" . with lock washers that was the cause. Any way... the new terminal is all green on the cable so I'm going to replace it with new one and get better washers on the cube terminal and go to 150 amp for the starter. I'm really tempted to leave it out. since that is what had to be done to use the engine battery again.

So it also dawned on me I need the batteries combined so the solar trickle feeds them all? (Blue Seas Isolated battery circuits switch, with acr)

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: fuse popped, ARRRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
All the rewiring I did as many of you may remember? Well the cube fuses seemed ok. I wasn't overly impressed with them. Anyway. The fuse for the starter on the engine battery burned out. 125 amp, terminal loosened up "again" . with lock washers that was the cause. Any way... the new terminal is all green on the cable so I'm going to replace it with new one and get better washers on the cube terminal and go to 150 amp for the starter. I'm really tempted to leave it out. since that is what had to be done to use the engine battery again.

So it also dawned on me I need the batteries combined so the solar trickle feeds them all? (Blue Seas Isolated battery circuits switch, with acr)

Denise a 125A or 150A amp fuse for a starter load is a JOKE!!!! You really need 250-300A and at the smallest 200A bare minimum.... What size is your wire?

Beyond that use a nylock with the MRBF with the nylock on top of a split washer.

ANY BATTERY THAT CAN BE CALLED UPON TO EVER START A SAILBOAT AUX DIESEL NEEDS A MINIMUM 200A FUSE, BUT PREFERABLY 250-300A TO AVOID NUISANCE TRIPS....!

Once you get the right fuse in there you will have many thousands of starts and will completely forget the fuse is even there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-25-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And if you have no silicon grease to schmear on the fittings to prevent them from turning green, you can always use chicken schmaltz.

With any leftover chicken schmaltz, you can make chopped liver.
Old 08-25-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I went with the 300A fuses for my Universal 5424. The cabling is 00, so according to the table my fuses are just about small enough to protect the cabling. 00 is rated for 280A continuous inside an engine space. I think I read you are allowed a certain rating over the continuous rating, when selecting fuses. Mainesail, do you know what that percentage is?

"the new terminal is all green on the cable". Does this mean the conductors are not tinned?

Genuinedealz.com will sell you nice cables, terminated, with tinned marine-grade wire. That's what I use, and the price was less than the bare cable at my local chandlery.

Last edited by MarkSF; 08-25-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Hides behind sofa and softy says; "weeeell I wanted to size them closer to the load"
# 4 marine battery cable only about 4ft to starter. It's only a little 2 cylinder engine.

the terminal was loose enough to rattle. they make copper nylocs?

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-25-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I used to have 4 gauge cabling. It starts with a lot more enthusiasm, now it has 2/0.
Old 08-25-2014
1934 Chickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I used to have 4 gauge cabling. It starts with a lot more enthusiasm, now it has 2/0.
Well #4 can handle 136 to 160 amps load, and more on the surge

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-25-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Hides behind sofa and softy says; "weeeell I wanted to size them closer to the load"
# 4 marine battery cable only about 4ft to starter. It's only a little 2 cylinder engine.

the terminal was loose enough to rattle. they make copper nylocs?

What "load"? You do know a starter can draw many times it's "rating"... I have measured a 1.2kW starter at 640A during the in-rush... I have measured a 1.4kW at over 1000A in-rush. ANL, MRBF and Class T can handle brief in-rush but still need to be sized well in excess of the kW rating.. On a warm day with healthy battery & wiring you might see just 2X the rating but as the battery gets weak, marginal cable of cold temps etc. the starter load can go up..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-25-2014
1934 Chickering

load From the new 90am alternator. the terminal was loose for the starter! Could of burned, glad the fuse went

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-26-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Hi Denise,

You should size the MRBF to the location, wire gauge and insulation temperature rating. I have AWG 2 leads with 105ļC insulation going to my batteries, and this is inside the engine room, so for me the proper size fuse for me is 178.5A - call it 175A.

Look at the table below, and find your wire gauge, then find the insulation, and read what should be your fuse rating.
(Posting this image from Maine Sail's site);

[EDIT] If sized too small, you WILL blow fuses as your battery voltage drops. You know that the voltage will drop as you spend a night at anchor, and use the batteries. Voltage down means current up to produce the same power to the starter motor.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-26-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.