Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

DBASailor is on a distinguished road
Portable Generator

I'm considering purchasing a portable generate for my sailboat. I'm considering a Honda EU2000i companion that I can plug my 30 amp cord into. I'd like the generator to charge my batteries when I'm sailing or at anchor, via my inverter/charger. Any thoughts on this option for keeping the batteries topped off? What options are others using for portable generators.
rikhall likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Portable Generator

There are plenty of other options that are cheaper, but nothing close to as good. I don't think any of them will allow you to run them while sailing, but at anchor should be fine.
rikhall likes this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBASailor View Post
I'm considering purchasing a portable generate for my sailboat. I'm considering a Honda EU2000i companion that I can plug my 30 amp cord into. I'd like the generator to charge my batteries when I'm sailing or at anchor, via my inverter/charger. Any thoughts on this option for keeping the batteries topped off? What options are others using for portable generators.
The Honda 2000 is obviously the most popular choice these days... It might help to know what sort of boat we're talking about, what your power requirements are, and so forth... And, as this unfortunate subject arises frequently, you might want to have a look thru the "Similar Threads" listed below...

Now, I realize these things are here to stay, and I'm no longer surprised to hear them being run in otherwise peaceful anchorages from the Bahamas, to Maine... But, seriously, running one of these freakin' things while UNDER SAIL ???

Damn, talk about Spoiling the Mood...

:-)
jimrafford likes this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Here ya go even has 12v built in for charging Inverter Generator - 4.7HP, 2500W Inverter Generator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

gershel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Now, I realize these things are here to stay, and I'm no longer surprised to hear them being run in otherwise peaceful anchorages from the Bahamas, to Maine... But, seriously, running one of these freakin' things while UNDER SAIL ???

Damn, talk about Spoiling the Mood...

:-)
Jon, I agree with you most of the time, but some folks have to charge their batteries. So, should they sail with the engine running, or drop sails and motor, or sail and run a small generator. Actually, I would rather sail and run the small gen. I don't see the problem.
Marc
Old 3 Weeks Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here ya go even has 12v built in for charging Inverter Generator - 4.7HP, 2500W Inverter Generator
Yeah, running that thing to charge via DC @ 8 amps, that's efficient, alright... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
Jon, I agree with you most of the time, but some folks have to charge their batteries. So, should they sail with the engine running, or drop sails and motor, or sail and run a small generator. Actually, I would rather sail and run the small gen. I don't see the problem.
Marc
Well, we don't know what sort of boat we have here, or the type of sailing/cruising being done, so... But I have to charge my batteries just like anyone else, just seems to me there are better options...

I'll admit, I'm overly cranky about the proliferation of these things... I suppose I just wonder how people do without them before they became so popular... :-)

To each his own, but if I had no other means of charging the batts, I'd still be inclined to run the engine for doing so... No fussing with gasoline, having to protect the unit from the elements, the risks inherent with carbon monoxide, etc...

You make a good point, however... all things being equal, I suppose I would much prefer if folks ran these generators when they were under sail, rather than after having arrived in an anchorage :-)
mitiempo likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:38 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

No indication as to the size of the charger. I can just barely run 2 40 amp chargers at full load. The honda is NOT 2000 watts, it is about 1400 if you get a good one.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
But, seriously, running one of these freakin' things while UNDER SAIL ???
I've delivered a couple of boats that used Honda generators for battery charging (AC to battery charger, not the DC output). It was a messy, smelly, unpleasant evolution while underway. I'd rather have used the space for extra diesel and run the main.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

gershel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I've delivered a couple of boats that used Honda generators for battery charging (AC to battery charger, not the DC output). It was a messy, smelly, unpleasant evolution while underway. I'd rather have used the space for extra diesel and run the main.
Probably depends on the boat. On my catamaran with outboards, with engines raised, and the gen. sitting on the aft quarter in the slipstream, it works quite well.
Marc
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
Probably depends on the boat. On my catamaran with outboards, with engines raised, and the gen. sitting on the aft quarter in the slipstream, it works quite well.
Definitely depends on the boat. On a Passport 40 with an enclosure it's just unpleasant.

On a boat with outboards the calculus changes. You have big gasoline storage anyway and a fuel line to your main tanks is practical. You just have to worry about keeping the generator reasonably dry and avoid exhaust gas in the cockpit and in the boat.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.