SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Solar panel help

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Shockwave 
#1 ·
I know this issue has been discussed more times than who killed Kennedy. I've scoured the pages of Sailnet and cruisersforum and still haven't really seen a thread pertaining to my particular setup. So here goes... Cal 31 with two Trojan T-145's for 260ah,about 130ah usable without going below 50%. I have an average Raymarine plotter using 2.3 amps,a bi-data using ???,an Icom M506 VHF/AIS using about 1.5 amps receiving,a cheap pioneer CD player without the constant power hooked up,a single electric bilge that's rarely used. No refrigeration,no radar,no ssb,no TV either. Coastal sailing with no more than 12 hour legs before we drop the hook for the night. Wanting to stay off the grid for a minimum of a week. I'm looking at a Kyocera 145 and the Blue-Sky 2512 MPPT Charge Controller with a seperate IPN display. The controller would be in the engine compartment less than 6ft from the batteries,the panel would either be side to side above the Bimini far aft or on the stern rail. So I guess after all that,my question would be,is that enough? Thanks for enduring and hopefully answering!

#4 ·
Without running any numbers, I'd say you are fine. Unless you cruise in a very special area, you will need to use your engine at least part of most days. I cruised for dozens of years without any solar and rarely had to run the engine due to low battery charge. Your loads are pretty minor. A panel of that size should keep things topped off even if you are lucky enough to sail everywhere and never use the engine other than in and out of the anchorage or marina.

#6 ·
As they said add the numbers. You said about 4 + lets say 2 for the bi-data, so 6 amp hours x 12 = 48 ah. Add some lights and the radio lets say 4 amps x 4, so 64amp hours. The Panel you mentioned is a max of about 12 amps. So you need about 5 hours of max sunlight.

I think you'll be fine.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I used the calculator and without knowing the amp usage of the bidata it was showing roughly 44 amp hours used a day. My interior lights are LED as well as the navigation lights. I could add another matching panel to double my input but don't really want the trouble of hooking up two,plus then the boom would come into play causing shading issues. The old Universal is still hanging in there but has high hours so just trying to use it when absolutely necessary. :sunglasses:

#8 ·
I know this issue has been discussed more times than who killed Kennedy. I've scoured the pages of Sailnet and cruisersforum and still haven't really seen a thread pertaining to my particular setup. So here goes... Cal 31 with two Trojan T-145's for 260ah,about 130ah usable without going below 50%. I have an average Raymarine plotter using 2.3 amps,a bi-data using ???,an Icom M506 VHF/AIS using about 1.5 amps receiving,a cheap pioneer CD player without the constant power hooked up,a single electric bilge that's rarely used. No refrigeration,no radar,no ssb,no TV either. Coastal sailing with no more than 12 hour legs before we drop the hook for the night. Wanting to stay off the grid for a minimum of a week. I'm looking at a Kyocera 145 and the Blue-Sky 2512 MPPT Charge Controller with a seperate IPN display. The controller would be in the engine compartment less than 6ft from the batteries,the panel would either be side to side above the Bimini far aft or on the stern rail. So I guess after all that,my question would be,is that enough? Thanks for enduring and hopefully answering!
There are better values in MPPT controllers today and I would not waste $90.00 on the IPN Display that really offers you nothing. If you want o add a remote the IPN-PRO Remote is the one to get but it's approx $200.00... Without the IPN-PRO Remote you have no real control of proper charge voltages for your Trojan's nor a proper absorption duration. A 2512i and IPN-PRO Remote will run you just shy of $400.00.

In that price range are the new Morningstar, MidNite KID both excellent fast tracking MPPT controllers..

There are also the new Victron MPPT controllers which can have a BlueTooth dongle added to them for about $60.00 giving full control of programming etc. via your tablet or phone. A Victron 75/15A MPPT would be more than enough for a single 145W panel and with the dongle would run you about $200.00 +/-. If you plan to add more array then you can bump up to the 100/30A MPPT model.. These are nice little controllers that have fast tracking MPPT algorithms and a very cool method for checking performance or setting up a proper program via a phone or tablet. I know Blue Sky will be launching new stuff soon but the 2512 etc. are getting pretty antiquated compared to the new stuff from Morningstar, MidNite & Victron etc...

#9 ·
Always an interesting thread with comments from Mainsail. Any thoughts about the economics of preserving 250 bucks worth of batteries?

#10 ·
Treat them well and always have a reserve/spare..:wink

Course you could ask all the folks my buddy tows each year because they did not care for their $250.00 in batteries and who have had batteries fail at a bad time. They then wind up on the short end of a $500.00 - $1000.00 SeaTow bill so the cost of the batteries just became $1250.00...:laugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.