SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Weird solar panel issue??

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dfok 
#1 ·
Dont laugh. I picked up one of those little Coleman solar panels for a $1 at a yard sale. Thought I would use it to top up the riding mower battery.

I put it in the sun and measured voltage at the two pin SAE connector and it showed 14 volts at the correct polarity.

I then attached the battery clip adapter via the SAE connector and measured at the clips. Same voltage but REVERSED polarity? The connectors and clips appeared to be wired correctly withe the positive side of the SAE connector going to the red clip. There is a 7.5 amp inline fuse on the positive side of the clip and fuse tests fine.

I am scratching my head how the polarity is getting flipped. HELP!

#2 ·
Are you testing by the color of the connectors or tracing the path of the wire on each side of the connector? Perhaps someone installed the red/black clips backwards. Who can say if its even the connector that originally came with it. I don't think the SAE connector can be plugged backwards, but that was another guess, if it can.

#5 ·
Solved. I somehow made a mistake when testing the connector from the panel. The panel is wired backwards internally. Sent Coleman an email but doubt I will hear from them. Will just reverse clips at battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.