Electric Panel repair - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By albrazzi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
83 Gecco 39

Electric Panel repair

Hi, I have a 1980 vintage Gecco 39 sailboat that has an electrical panel that has some ground connector corroded. It seems that the only way to replace them is to slide them out which would be difficult. Attached is a picture. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Charles
Electric Panel repair-elec_panel.jpg
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Electric Panel repair

It is hard to tell, but that looks like a shunt. Do you have an ammeter or SOC indicator somewhere aboard?

I would extend the wires, and move the device from this location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Looking at the picture again, I suppose that could also be your boat's DC negative bus. It is hard to say from that pic... (It would be AWESOME if everybody stopped embedding pictures into posts and, instead, linked to images hosted elsewhere)

Remove and replace with a BusBar and adhesive lined heat shrink crimp connectors.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
guggech (6 Days Ago)

post #4 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
83 Gecco 39

The part that is is shown with a screw is something that can move up or down when the screw is lose and a wire can be inserted under. The bar shown is the ground for the connections.
Maybe the easiest way would be to mechanically remove the 2 bad parts, drill a hole and thread and replace with a screw for connection.
Thanks,
Charles
post #5 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago
al brazzi

Are those solid conductors? The attachment looks like something you would find in a residential panel. Go with Eherlihy's suggestion that's some pretty work there. Solid conductors are BAD if they are, if not probably the wrong connector or at least one you need to look at real good. I have a lot of spades in my panel, I don't like them, I will go with a bar like E posted when I do a complete rewire, for now I replaced probably 1/3 of the spades because they would pull right off or not crimped right.
chef2sail likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
83 Gecco 39

These are regular stranded marine wires. This boat was built in Sweden and I suspect that these sliders are going to be very difficult to find.
Thanks,
Charles
post #7 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guggech View Post
These are regular stranded marine wires. This boat was built in Sweden and I suspect that these sliders are going to be very difficult to find.
Thanks,
Charles
Most times even if the end looks bad, strip back a little and you're good to go. I spent the money on a good ratchet crimper its worth it in quality connections. Lifetime tool too!
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
guggech (6 Days Ago)
post #8 of 10 Old 3 Days Ago

You can find them in the US they are an industrial style common in Europe. They do slide off so you would find the end of the bus bar typically supported by plastic held in with a screw. Not sure what brand you have there. We have some in the shop similar made by Phoenix.
These are the type we use thou at a glance it looks like yours may be a different brand.
Phoenix Contact - 0404017 - 7 mm W 41 A Silver 20-10 AWG Screw Busbar Connecting Term Blk Conn - Allied Electronics

Colin A
Work for Bass Products
colinsim.com (my personal site)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin A For This Useful Post:
guggech (3 Days Ago)
post #9 of 10 Old 2 Days Ago
░░░░░░░░░░

I suspect that if you first use a Scotchbrite pad, as best you can, or a Dremel tool with a wire ball, to remove whatever corrosion you can, and they spray the rest with PBlaster (not WD-40) you will find a lot of the corrosion goes away. PBlaster can be used, left 1/2 hour repeated two more times, and all sorts of rusted parts come apart literally as if they were new bare metal. There are other similar products like Kroil, but PBlaster is the one you'll find in retail stores. Even the big box stores now.
post #10 of 10 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
83 Gecco 39

I did that on one of them but used some "totalboat" rust inhibitor and it should be ok. The other is gone too far but thanks to Colin link above, I was able to locate some of these parts.
Thank you all for the advises,
Charles

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.