Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-05-2008
s/v Black Dog

craigm7493 is on a distinguished road
Honda 2000

I am thinking of purchasing a Honda 2000 or like model to use a a backup charging system for my house batteries. How would I hook this unit up to my 30 amp shore power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
with a short extension cord and a 15/30 amp cheater. very easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2008

Dunlookn has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Get A Better Deal

I was at my local Camping World a few days ago. They are selling the 2000 with a $ 100.00 gas gift card. That is the best deal I have ever seen on this product.

Don't own stock...but this is the best deal I've seen.
Old 09-03-2008

dsarin is on a distinguished road
We bought our Honda eu2000i two and a half years ago at haysequipment.com for $850 shipped, the best deal we could find at the time. We hook it up to our 30 amp shore power receptical with a short extension cord and a 30amp to 110v pigtail, about 18" in length purchased from West Marine.

Last edited by dsarin; 09-03-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2008

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Bought the 2000ei about 3 months ago..had a problem starting after only running for about an hour. Went to the local dealer to have it fixed under warranty..dealer said it was bad gas and not under warranty.. I complained to Honda..they had it repaired(new carb)under warranty..Went back to the local dealer to pick up the generator..service manager was 'pissed' that Honda had approved it for repair under warranty..said it made him look like a "fool" and that he was following their policy of not repairing under their written policy of no warranty for bad gas.

Surprising I was using the same gas for all my other power equipment to include a 15yr old Honda 1000 and they all worked fine.....
Old 09-18-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Craig,7493 - I am looking to do the exact same thing. I have a 690ah battery bank (6-6volts) and my 60amp alternator likely won't cut it for charging them up in a reasonable amount of time. I was going to have a larger Balmar alternator put on, but I'm out of time before I leave for San Diego (then on to Cabo). I've added some electronics and radar, so I plan to use the 3 day trip from SF to San Diego to really determine what my actual draw will be with the iron genny in the off position for several days. I added a Link 20 battery monitor which should give me the actuals I need to determine if bringing along a Honda 2000 will be needed.

Please post your experience if you get one. I'll do the same.
Old 09-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Vitesse...what size charger do you have? the Honda won't do it alone.
With 700ah's you will need to replace 350ah's at 50% depleted. If they are flooded 6V rather than AGM...you can put 100-140amps in during bulk charging. That is pushing the Honda's output limit and there will also be conversion losses...suggest you get something in the 100amp range as running the Honda for 3 hours will bring them most of the way back up.
Old 09-19-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Vitesse...what size charger do you have?
The batteries are 6volt wet cell 232ah, so I'll have a total of 696ah (345ah usable). The charger is a Magnum ME2000, which has a 2000watt inverter and 100amp charger. When the batts reach 50% depleted, I had planned to run the engine while under way, and before we reach our destination. I had planned for 4hrs of engine run time per day for the 6 days we are under way. 60amp alternator (85% efficiency is 51amps @ 2800rpm), so 51amps*4=204amps. That leaves me 37amps shy of the 85% full mark, and 104amps shy of the 100% mark. Honda states max output of 16.7amps, so what's the actual? Is it realistic to think running it for 4hrs while on the hook will get me another 48amps into the bank? Is it realistic to think I could run it for 10hrs while on the hook?

I'll have exact draw and resupply numbers in two weeks when we head to San Diego. Ultimately, I think I need a bigger alternator and the little Honda.
Old 09-19-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I hook my Honda up through the shorepower receptacle. I bought plug ends and 3 strand AC marine wire and made my own extentsion.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 09-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Vitesse,
It's too late for this trip, but a better way to spend the same amount of money is probably a solar panel.
I get about 30-35 amp hours a day out of my 80w panel here in Maryland, that tops you off day after day in silence and with no additional (Gas) costs.
I use about 40 a day, and carry 210 ah in my house bank, so I have a cumulative negative of 5 or 10 ah a day with just the solar and can get by for 5 days with no motor run/supplemental charging at all.
Your Link should be able to give you lots of data to work with on exactly what you need, and when.

I borrow a friends Honda 2000 only when I want to run my A/C on the hook, plug it in to my 30 amp shore power plug with a 60 dollar 30amp/15amp pig tail just like everyone else works fine, last a long time. The Honda's sustained output is around 13amp - so a cord rated at 15 is okay.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.