Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-17-2008

sunfishin is on a distinguished road
Question Bonding wire size?

I'm rewiring some old stuff on my Baba 35. The original bonding wire is a #10 or maybe #8. I'm wanting to replace this with at least the original size, but wondering if it would be better to go larger. Would this benefit me (or the boat) in any way? or just throwing money away?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sunfishin-

Is this the lightning bonding or grounding bonding wiring that you're talking about. For lightning bonding, you'd want heavier wire... for grounding I don't think it makes much difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-18-2008

sunfishin is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sailingdog for the reply. It's just grounding bonding I'm wondering about. So, do you think I could go to a smaller size, like 12?
Old 11-18-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I have a 31 foot island packet. The factory recomended #6 That was pricey but I did not need to much
Old 11-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd stick with 10 AWG... for purely mechanical reasons... it's a lot stronger than 12 AWG and less likely to break or tear if it gets stepped on, something dropped on it, etc. Going with 8 AWG generally requires a different crimp tool and crimp connectors.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-17-2009

Shortman is on a distinguished road

specs on my 85 Pearson 34 are #8 & I was thinking that might be too small (but I'm not going to change it all). A lightning strike is not exactly a small dose of electricity.
Fastenal has a hammer strike crimper for cable lugs for $12-13. Just bought, first use will be this spring but sure looks fine.
Old 01-17-2009

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
wondering if one should use at least number 6 as when one hears of sailor's using their anchor chain row over the side of the boat fasten to their shrouds, and when they do receive a strike there is always some damage to the row if not the anchor, what do think the result would be with number 8, it would likley be fried.
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

Art—

It depends on whether the wiring in question is for galvanic protection ground bonding or lightning protection bonding. One requires wire, but it doesn't have to be particularly heavy, the other requires fairly heavy wiring due to the amperages and voltages involved. IIRC, the typical weight of wire used for a mast lightning ground protection system is 2 or 4 AWG—which requires a specialized crimping tool to terminate.

Telstar 28
New England