Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2009

gordofloats is on a distinguished road
Ferroresonant Charger

Good day, folks.
This past summer was my first at the helm of my '84 Hunter 34. While trying to wrap my head around the whole experience, I unfortunately neglected my battery bank, and now need to replace both of my house batteries. As I kept my battery switch on "Both" for the entire season, I'm not sure if I cooked them or if they were in this condition when I got the boat (my starter's still in good shape). She came with a Raritan ferroresonant charger, which I kept on continuously because I kept the refrigerator running all summer. Is this bad practice? Should I update my charger to a smart one if I want to keep food onboard? One of the house bank was literally half empty (or half full, depending on your outlook), and neither will hold a charge.
I look to the wisdom of more experienced boaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yep,time for an upgrade. And, not just because you leave the frig running.

What kills batteries most of the time is failure to maintain a full charge. However, there are other things which will greatly reduce battery life, including contamination, stratification, sulfation even if float charge is maintained but battery isn't exercised and/or equalized, etc., etc.

Investment in new batteries isn't cheap. Since you're gonna do it, you might as well get a good multi-stage charger to maintain them.

If you have a diesel boat, my suggestion would be to look into the Iota line of chargers with the smart IQ-4 regulator (either built-in or external..they come both ways). These chargers use pulse technology and have lots of other design factors which make them exceptional in maintaining your batteries, including "automatic equalization", high tolerance for voltage and frequency shifts, excellent RFI suppression, etc. Best of all, they are priced right, and come in sizes from about 90 amps down to about 15 amps. You can find them on eBay and elsewhere.

Bill
Old 02-05-2009

popeyeforearm is on a distinguished road
"Yep,time for an upgrade. And, not just because you leave the frig running.

What kills batteries most of the time is failure to maintain a full charge. However, there are other things which will greatly reduce battery life, including contamination, stratification, sulfation even if float charge is maintained but battery isn't exercised and/or equalized, etc., etc."

Great explanation and when you're buying your new battery don't go for the too cheap ones because you usually get what you paid for.
Old 02-05-2009

gordofloats is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this feedback. So with a charger like the one you recommend can it simply be left on all season at dockside with appliances like the frig running? I don't want to invest in new batteries and cook them out of negligence.
Old 02-05-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yes. I have two Iota chargers w/IQ-4 regulators -- one external and one internal. One of these Iotas (55A model) is on the boat and maintains the two T-105 golf-cart batteries which are dedicated to the windlass. The other Iota (45A model) is at home, and maintains the two T-105 golf-cart batteries which run all my radios (I'm a ham and a radio freak....lots of radios, all run off of 12V). Both of these Iotas are left on 24/7.

That said, it's very important to periodically check on electrolyte level, 'cuz you can easily get fooled. All my T-105s (I have 8 of them on the boat and 2 at home) have Water Miser Caps, which greatly reduce water loss. Additionally, they make it literally a snap to check on water levels in the batteries...you just snap up the covers to have a look and/or to add distilled water when needed.

Providing that you periodically check the water levels and don't let the batteries run dry, then I believe 24/7 is the best way to maintain flooded batteries. Mine are several years old and with a sophisticated battery tester still test almost like new.

Bill
Old 03-02-2009

jhaley66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
If you have a diesel boat, my suggestion would be to look into the Iota line of chargers with the smart IQ-4 regulator (either built-in or external..they come both ways). These chargers use pulse technology and have lots of other design factors which make them exceptional in maintaining your batteries, including "automatic equalization", high tolerance for voltage and frequency shifts, excellent RFI suppression, etc. Best of all, they are priced right, and come in sizes from about 90 amps down to about 15 amps. You can find them on eBay and elsewhere.

Bill
Why wouldn't you use the Iota charger for a gasoline powered boat? Is it because it is not ignition safe? I have an outboard powered boat and am considering getting an iota.
Old 03-02-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Good advice all around...but I don't think anyone answered your question directly. I'll bet you didn't check your battery water since you got the boat. FR chargers have (or had, anyway) a reputation for being 'brute force' chargers...almost indestructible, but dumb. Depending on the brand and model, they will float about 13.8V no matter what. Over time, measured in months, not years, they will boil off your water. They really weren't bad chargers if you paid attention...that and the fact that they generally make a lot of noise. I can't say that I've ever run into an actual charger failure.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.