Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2009

Tethys26 is on a distinguished road
Battery Status after 2yrs on the hard

Good Evening,
I am finally getting my 44' Gulfstar back in the water after 2 years spent on the hard following a demasting incident. I'll be sailing her from Marathon FL to TX in mid april. The boat has not had a charger or or anything on its set of 4 6v group 24 batteries. The batteries are approximately 3yrs old and had very little use prior during that time. I am assuming they are fully discharged at this point. Is there any likelihood that they are still good, or should I just assume I'll have to replace all four before I make the jump across the gulf?
Thanks,
Lloyd
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I would check the volts and acid levels, if the cells are not dry I would charge them to full then disconnect charger and let sit a few days, then test to see if it holding the charge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-26-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
the only thing i can say is to try and charge em, but they might need a desulfurazation charger
Old 02-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the batteries haven't been charged in two years, they're likely dead, since battery plates tend to start sulfating when they're discharged for long periods of time. Even if they were fully charged to begin with, with the temperatures in the storage location, they'd discharge about 1% per day... so have sat for over a year fully discharged.

BTW, I've never see Group 24 6V batteries.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
any pic of the boat, and the dismat?
Old 02-26-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
As SD said. Ask any battery manufacturer, and they will tell you the same thing. After 30 days without a charge, precipitation forms in wet cells and some of it is insoluble and will NOT go back into solution no matter what anyone promises. From that point on, the longer they sit the more permanent damage occurs and after two years sitting? You might as well throw them out and save yourself the time and aggravation of playing with them. *IF* you manage to put any charge back in them, the odds are that one $75 deep cycle battery from WalMart will have more power than all of whatever you have left.
Old 02-26-2009

Tethys26 is on a distinguished road
I'm not 100 percent sure on the case size. They're the standard 6v sea volt 225ah jobbers from west marine. Like everyone has said, I think they're probably toast. I was hoping to save 500 bucks but it's probably the safer bet to replace them all and call it a day. I'll post pics of the demasting when I get back to my home computer. The main port chain plate split at the seam, apparently due to poor forging when it was originally made. According to the metallurgy lab, it was an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately there was no way to inspect this particular plate as it was sealed up inside the interior paneling with no access. Luckily nobody was injured and we were only about 35nm south of Marathon when it happened. 30K later thanks to BOATUS Insurance, she's ready to go again.
Thanks for the advice,
Lloyd
Old 02-27-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"The main port chain plate split at the seam, apparently due to poor forging "
Stainless steel? Welcome to the world of crevice corrosion, the trend is to replace all stainless structural parts (turnbuckles, etc.) every 10-20 years as they may simply fail in the saltwater environment. And fail rather dramatically.

Turns out the bronze isn't obsolete after all.
Old 02-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree with HS. The chainplate failure was probably due to crevice corrosion, especially if the boat is older and the chainplates were 304 instead of 316 stainless.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-27-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Two more votes:

1. The old batteries are toast. Don't bother to play with them. If they're 6V 225AH, they're likely to be golf-cart size batteries. Replace them with T-105 Trojans or other high-quality battery. And, if you don't have a proper charging setup aboard to keep these babies fully charged, you're gonna have a replay and fork out more $$$ before long.

2. If one chainplate busted, it's a pretty good bet that others are compromised as well, thru the process of surface corrosion. I pulled all mine and had them tested in Tortola; all of them failed. Some of the 1/2" thru-bolts securing them also failed while being extracted. Be darned sure your chainplates and rigging screws are up to the job. Only real way to do that is to replace them. Cheaper now than later.

JMO,

Bill