Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-03-2009

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Clear heat shrink

here w/free shipping Genuinedealz > Marine Wire, Boat Wire, Boat Cable, Marine Grade also labeling supplies from McMaster Carr mcmaster.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009

Islander30Bahama is on a distinguished road
There are so many choices when it comes to labeling wires. Some will work way better than others especially being in the marine enviroment. In the past when I have done wiring jobs for people before I even started the work I had drawn up wiring schematics/diagrams before any work work was done. After explaining the diagrams and how the system was going to be added and approval from the owner I would find a local industrail equipment manufacturer that had the $5K printer that did heat shrink labels. I could typically give em 20 or bucks to print all the labels and a set of spares. This way when I did the job I had the right size labels for the wiring. Most big electrical supply houses will have the printers as well it might cost a lil more but well worth it to have a label that is legible and will stand up to the marine enviroment.

Just my $.02

Jeff
Old 03-04-2009

geraldartman is on a distinguished road
There was a brother ptouch on buy.com for less than $10. I bought it a 9.99 and on tuesday it was 6.99. bummer. but shipping was free :-) Can't be much simpler. Tapes are available in film.
Old 03-05-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldartman View Post
There was a brother ptouch on buy.com for less than $10. I bought it a 9.99 and on tuesday it was 6.99. bummer. but shipping was free :-) Can't be much simpler. Tapes are available in film.
Is that the kind that prints on the clear labels that you wrap around the cable ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2009

geraldartman is on a distinguished road
The ptouch prints clear on on colored like red on yellow on a film or on paper labels. different width material 3/8 to 1/2 wide.
Old 03-05-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
Precisely. You can get clear or solid film. I use solid background black type and protect with clear heat shrink tubing. You can us clear but is harder to see on some wire and still need to be covered with heat shrink
Old 03-08-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
In Canada, a marine electronics expert put me on to the Active Electronics Depot stores (10 across the country and a website) for wire numbering and clear heat shrink. Given we can't get coloured wire any more, seems like there is a shift to labelling wires. Numbers for small wires, and text labels and clear heat shrink for larger cables. Can use an Excel spreadsheet to record all the numbers.
Old 04-05-2009

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
For the large diameter cables you an print labels with your PC at any font size and then use clear heat shrink tubing to seal them to the cable. Easier done with large cables where you can slip the heat shrink over the lug fitting.
Old 04-05-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
For the large diameter cables you an print labels with your PC at any font size and then use clear heat shrink tubing to seal them to the cable. Easier done with large cables where you can slip the heat shrink over the lug fitting.
hey look..it's the cry baby.....

mummy let you out today???..this has nothing to do with sailing...what are you doing here???

the bad wolf will eat you RUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

BU!!!
Old 04-06-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This is a great idea. My problem is that I can't get that well organized. I usually end up at the boat and start wiring, so I need a portable, on the spot system.