SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Daily amp hours for 200 watts? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/52069-daily-amp-hours-200-watts.html)

66luders 03-03-2009 03:27 AM

Daily amp hours for 200 watts?

I have two panels in parallel totaling 200 watts which feed a morningstar MPPT charge regulator. According to the meter I am only getting between 10 and 15 amp hours on a average day here in Hawaii. One panel is a kyocera 65 watt and the other is a kyocera 135 watt. Both panels max voltage is around 17 volts... and they are in parallel.
The charge regulator is a three stage regulator and the voltage is usually around 14.5 volts for my wet cell batteries.

during the day I shut off the battery charger and all lights and fans, there is virtually no amperage draw on my batteries. So I am wondering if the batteries are fully charged and the regulator is only showing the amperage that the batteries are accepting.

scottyt 03-03-2009 03:49 AM

the math is easy but real life is not, the math is amp = watts divided by volts or 200 / 14.5 or about 13.8. so thats what in a perfect world you get per hour. so either your banks are charged or you have a problem. do you have a dump on the controller ? you might want to try a night with out the charger and just let the panels do the work the next day and see what the meter says the next day.

sailingdog 03-03-2009 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66luders (Post 456966)
I have two panels in parallel totaling 200 watts which feed a morningstar MPPT charge regulator. According to the meter I am only getting between 10 and 15 amp hours on a average day here in Hawaii. One panel is a kyocera 65 watt and the other is a kyocera 135 watt. Both panels max voltage is around 17 volts... and they are in parallel.
The charge regulator is a three stage regulator and the voltage is usually around 14.5 volts for my wet cell batteries.

during the day I shut off the battery charger and all lights and fans, there is virtually no amperage draw on my batteries. So I am wondering if the batteries are fully charged and the regulator is only showing the amperage that the batteries are accepting.

If your system is showing 14.5 VDC, that is a bulk charging phase voltage unless your charge controller is screwed up. The batteries should be accepting everything those two panels can put out.

How big is your batter bank?? BTW, 17 volts sounds a bit low for max voltage. You probably would have been better off with two 100 watt panels, rather than a 135 and a 65...

Also, are you sure it is only showing 15 AMP-hours, not 15 AMPS. What kind of battery monitor are you using. The Morningstar charge controllers probably only show AMPS, not amp-hours. A battery monitor, like a Link 10, would show AMP-hours.