Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
New instruments, what would you do?

Say you were going to scrap all the electronics on your boat. Wind, depth, speed, GPS, radar etc. and start completely from scratch.

Trying to keep to a reasonable budget but also trying to maximize functionailty and durability, what would you purchase? What would you skip?

This is for a vessel that will be going on a long term cruise along the Gulf Coast, the East coast and the Carribean. Here's your chance to play Mr. Peabody to an eager audience...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with Garmin for the Radar and GPS, as they've got some of the best gear out there IMHO.

For wind, depth, and speed, you could go with any number of companies, but I happen to like the TackTick gear for versatility and ease of installation. No running wires up the mast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Any particular model you find superior to others ?
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on what your budget is. The Garmin 3205/3206 and the GMR 18HD are probably the best bang for the buck for Radar/GPS chartplotter. While the 3205/3206 are a bit small in terms of screen size, you could always upgrade later. Also, a lot of people like the interface on the 32xx series better than that of the newer models.

The GMR 18 and GMR 18HD are about $200 difference in price, and it is well worth getting the 18HD for the price difference, since it presents a much clearer radar image with fewer false returns.

While, the 3205/3206 are older units and about to be discontinued, they are a very good buy for that reason, and have all of the features you'd want in a new chartplotter. TigerGPS has the 3205 at a very good price, $699. They also come pre-loaded with the Garmin BlueCharts for US coastal waters..

As for instruments, I like the TackTick T104 set, which comes with wind, speed, depth and temperature, as well as a NMEA interface for the Tacktick gear to talk to your autopilot and such. The TackTick gear requires far less wiring, since the wind transducer and the displays are wireless. The wind display can be used in normal mode (shows 360˚) and close hauled mode where it only shows ±60˚, which is usually a second display from most other manufacturers.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-11-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added bluechart information.
Old 04-10-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Sailingdog you are once again my hero. Many, many thanks. For only $200 it makes sense since being able to see the screen clearly as one of the issues causing us to consider a complete electronics refit.
Old 04-10-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd go with Garmin for the Radar and GPS, as they've got some of the best gear out there IMHO.

For wind, depth, and speed, you could go with any number of companies, but I happen to like the TackTick gear for versatility and ease of installation. No running wires up the mast.

My perfect dream setup...you sir get a "cookie"
Old 04-11-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Dog,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tack Tick T104. I have an older Autohelm...do you know of they will work/tlak together? (Unfortunately I have no info on the auto helm from the PO)

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-11-2009
Telstar 28

IF it has NMEA 0183 input/output... yes, it will work. I have my TackTick setup connected to my Garmin GPS and my Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Dog,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tack Tick T104. I have an older Autohelm...do you know of they will work/tlak together? (Unfortunately I have no info on the auto helm from the PO)

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-07-2009

drfreddie is on a distinguished road
Great post as I have the same question. Glad to see positive on the Tack Tick
not surprised to hear positive about Garmin...but surprise to NOT hear a thing about Raymarine stuff I was leaning towards the E120 display..any feedback?
Old 07-07-2009
Telstar 28

I had the Raymarine gear on my boat and replaced it because the wind instrument kept acting flaky... mainly due to wiring issues... However, I use the C80 gear on s/v Felix, which I sail on frequently, and like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreddie View Post
Great post as I have the same question. Glad to see positive on the Tack Tick
not surprised to hear positive about Garmin...but surprise to NOT hear a thing about Raymarine stuff I was leaning towards the E120 display..any feedback?

Telstar 28
New England