Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2009

watom is on a distinguished road
Cable TV connection

How do you run your cable from the dock box to your boat? What is the connection you use at the boat it's self, is there a proper waterproof marine connector similar to the shore power cord,or do you just run the coax cable thru a open port light. Moving aboard soon and cable TV and Internet is available at the dock box my old boat wasn't wired for cable.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I have sat, but those that I see with cable use std coax that plugs to a receptical simular to a shore power receptical on the boat. I would use zipties and zip it to your SP cord or just use the same velcro straps that secures your SP to the dock finger

Those cable receptical aren't that expensive and pretty easy to install

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-22-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2009

watom is on a distinguished road
Cable connection

Poopdeck,
I tried to locate the connection you referred to but can't seem to find one even worst marine did have one I could find on their web site. Does anyone know who sells them.
Old 04-22-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Here's the page from the sailnet store.
Shop.Sailnet.com - sailing resources, shopping, sail, blogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough

Combination Phone and cable TV connection jack for on deck use. They have several different types.
Marinco Part
PH6592TV-SS
Old 04-24-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Here's a Marinco

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-24-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by watom View Post
How do you run your cable from the dock box to your boat? What is the connection you use at the boat it's self, is there a proper waterproof marine connector similar to the shore power cord,or do you just run the coax cable thru a open port light. Moving aboard soon and cable TV and Internet is available at the dock box my old boat wasn't wired for cable.
Thanks.
I would at least investigate grounding the coax once it is on board, possibly running it through a grounding block and then wiring the block to earth ground. I think that is how it is wired when it comes into your house, I seem to remember the cable company even drives it's own ground rod.

Please support my
Old 04-27-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
I just installed cable on a new boat. Purchased the receptacle from WM. Be aware there's two different models and a difference in price. I bought the one that has connections for both cable and telephone for apx $80. The model that only handled cable was $130. Not sure what the logic was with them giving more for less, but I went for the cheaper model. It's stainless and matches the shore receptacles. I ran the better shielded cable just to make sure I didn't pick up any stray electrical noise from other wiring I was running the cable along side of. The whole process was easy with the hardest part being running the cable behind seats, cabinets, etc. BTW as an alternative to a TV antenna for those times you're not in a marina with cable TV, just take a length of the cable (long enough to reach from the receptacle to one of your backstays) and connect the one end to the receptacle as if it was the cable coming in from the dock, then cut the other end and strip apx 4" of the insulation. Wrap the 4" bare end around the rigging and be prepared to have an amazing picture signal.
Mike
Old 04-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
I just installed cable on a new boat. Purchased the receptacle from WM. Be aware there's two different models and a difference in price. I bought the one that has connections for both cable and telephone for apx $80. The model that only handled cable was $130. Not sure what the logic was with them giving more for less, but I went for the cheaper model. It's stainless and matches the shore receptacles. I ran the better shielded cable just to make sure I didn't pick up any stray electrical noise from other wiring I was running the cable along side of. The whole process was easy with the hardest part being running the cable behind seats, cabinets, etc. BTW as an alternative to a TV antenna for those times you're not in a marina with cable TV, just take a length of the cable (long enough to reach from the receptacle to one of your backstays) and connect the one end to the receptacle as if it was the cable coming in from the dock, then cut the other end and strip apx 4" of the insulation. Wrap the 4" bare end around the rigging and be prepared to have an amazing picture signal.
Mike
Mike, when you wired that up, did the instructions say anything about wiring it to ground ?

Please support my
Old 04-27-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Nope, no mention of grounding it. From what I can see there's no lug available to do so anyway. Didn't have a ground on the previous boat either and the dealer installed the cable on her. Picture on both was/is terrific.
Mike