Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-30-2009

paulberto is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Honda EU1000i w/ProTech-4 1250 charger

Hello everyone,

I have a ProMariner ProTech-4 1250 (50 amp) charger aboard my sailboat. It works great with shore power from the marina. I recently had given to me a brand new Honda EU1000i generator.

The honda generator supposedly is rated for 900VA and reads 1000VA as maximum output. The ProMariner tech I called and spoke to tells me that the charger needs about 900-1000VA to function. He claims this should work.

When I connect the generator to the shore power socket on my boat and turn on the charger, the honda picks up RPM and then few seconds later you can hear it throttle way down. The overload indicator light on the honda lights up and the power is cut to the charger.

Reading the manual, it states that the overload light will come on when it is in excess of 1000VA or if there is a short circuit in a connected appliance.

The ProMariner tech tells me that he thinks it is a modified sound wave issue that is short circuiting it. He says to remedy the problem, place a small load on the honda genset prior to activating the charger. This does not work: I tried many different appliances, small and big. The overload light simply always comes on.

The only success I had running 'em was when the batteries are already 100% charged -- the charger stays on with the generator indefinitely (which tells me it isn't a modified sound wave problem). Perhaps it is overloading and the tech doesn't want to admit it ?

Does anyone have any ideas? I am new to cruising and sailing all together, and after training and preparing for 9 months, I am about to leave Panama for San Blas and Cartagena. Would love to have this working.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
--Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
I have a Freedom 30 inverter/charger and a Honda EU2000 generator. I have to change the power share setting on the control panel to 20 amps from the normal 30 amp shorepower setting before I try to charge up the boat. If I don't, I have the same problem you have.

The charger is going to pull as much power as it can to get the job done. The ac output of the EU1000 can't keep up and overloads. I'm not sure if you have a power setting on your charger, but if you have one, set it at 10 amps and you would be ok.
Old 05-30-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The Honda 1000 genset is way too small for a 50A charger. It would run a 30A charger OK, though. If you're stuck with that genset (e.g., you can't sell it or trade it for the 2000i), I'd look into an Iota 30A charger with the IQ4 regulator, either external or internal (it comes both ways). They're the best buy on the market in a smart charger. You can get one for $127 from Arizona Wind Sun:
Iota Regulated Battery Chargers

Iota makes a 45A model, too, but I believe it's a bit too much for the little Honda generator. The Iota's are very efficient and put out more average power than most chargers, so they draw a lot, too. You'd be safe with the 30A model, though.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 05-31-2009

paulberto is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately there is no power settings on the charger. I'm thinking now my best bet is to get the 30A charger, but would prefer the 45. I looked up the specifications for the Iota but it doesn't seem to show any AC input wattage. Nor does the specification on my current charger, although the tech on the phone said it should be under 1000VA.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-31-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Paul,

Iota publishes the specs on all their chargers. You can find them for the 45A model here: IOTA Engineering DLS-45 12VDC Battery Charger and Power Converter - 45 Amps

The 45A model draws a maximum of 11A @ 108VAC, which is 1188 watts. This exceeds the Honda's continuous rating, so you'd be better off with the 30A model which draws a maximum of 7A @ 108V or 756 watts.

If you're going to go this route, be sure you get one with the IQ-4 smart regulator. Some models have the IQ-4 built-in, but many don't and will need the plug-in version which costs about $30. It plugs in using a common phone jack.

Too bad you don't have the 2000i, as it can handle the 75A Iota (which has a maximum input of 1836 watts).

Bill