Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-15-2009

Crepard is on a distinguished road
Honda Gen won't charge

Hi all,

I just purchased a brand new Honda Gen EU2000i companion with the 30A outlet. The Gen works fine and the shore power works fine also. When I plug my shore power cord to the generator, nothing happens. I am not getting power past the circuit breaker (no power on CB light). The CB is a Blue Sea 30A.

Test conducted:

Gen; I plugged a small heater on the 30A outlet, no issues at any settings.

CB; I changed the old CB with a more modern Blue Sea, same same.

System diagram:

Shore power receptacle to CB. Then split in two, one wire bundle goes to the true charge 20, and the other bundle goes to 3 AC outlets on the boat.

Any idea of the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Its very probable your shorepower cable has a different (non standard) wiring arrangement. Ask a technician to drll down the wiring, as AC poses real life risk, and looks like you're not proficient electrician.
Old 07-19-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
So, the 30 amp connector on the Honda works even when you don't have two generators hooked together? That's good to know, because I was considering doing what you're trying to do, and figured it would work, but knowing my luck, I'd spend a grand on a generator and it wouldn't.

I agree though; check on how it's all wired. Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-20-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Did you overload the Honda Generator? I have to set my inverter/charger to 20 amps to keep the demand on the boat from overloading the generator.
Old 07-20-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by windward54 View Post
Did you overload the Honda Generator? I have to set my inverter/charger to 20 amps to keep the demand on the boat from overloading the generator.

That's peculiar my inverter/charger is 100amps and the Honda will charge at about 90 amps. EU2000i. Maybe you've got your hot water heater on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That's peculiar my inverter/charger is 100amps and the Honda will charge at about 90 amps. EU2000i. Maybe you've got your hot water heater on!
The system I have is a Xantrex Freedom 3000 which will crank out 140 amps DC when charging, using about 28 amps AC. I have to set the powershare feature, which allows the unit to sense the demand on the system and not overload the incoming AC current even at the dock, as I only have 30 amps coming into the boat when docked. The Honda EU2000 is rated for only 16.67 amps AC out. Large chargers will overload the Honda Generator. Fortunately, the Xantrex can be set at a low input rate and keeps the demand on the Honda Generator from causing it to overload. I've found that the 20 amp input setting works for me.

The new Honda generators have a 30 amp hook-up, but does not give out 30 AC amps. The only way to get 30 amps and use my charger to the full capacity would be to buy a second generator and an interconnect kit. One generator makes enough noise for me!

Last edited by windward54; 07-20-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Quote:
. I've found that the 20 amp input setting works for me.

This is completely unacceptable if you're a cruiser. Even with a small, say 400 amp house bank, if you run it down 50% it will take well over 10 hours to bring the bank up. When cruising if I use my Honda an hour or two does the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
This is completely unacceptable if you're a cruiser. Even with a small, say 400 amp house bank, if you run it down 50% it will take well over 10 hours to bring the bank up. When cruising if I use my Honda an hour or two does the trick.
Rick, you are confusing AC and DC. When limiting my input to 20 amps AC to the charging system, I can run my charger at roughly 2/3's capacity and get about 90 amps DC out of the charger when using one Honda EU2000 generator. My house bank is about 500-550 DC amp, so if I use half my amp hours, it would take about 3 hours to charge it back using my internal charging system and one Honda generator. If I plug in at the dock, I'm looking at about two hours to fully charge my housebank.
Old 07-20-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Quote:

Sorry, I thought from this statement you had set the charger to 20 amps i.e. charging at a maximum rate of 20 amps. There is no need really to limit the AC as the Honda will only work as hard as it can.

Old 07-20-2009

Actually I do need to limit the demand on the generator. The problem is the charging systems on most boats will demand the maximum from the AC source. With my system, for example, the charger will demand 28 amps AC from the source if it thinks it is available. This is fine at the dock, but when running my Honda generator, I only get 16.67 amps AC out of the generator. If I leave the setting on 30 amps AC available, the charger will try to get 28 amps and the Honda generator will try to provide 28 amps, overloading the generator's output capacity. The generator's overload protection shuts off the AC output. The generator's motor keeps running, but with no AC output until you reset the breaker. I learned this one the hard way!

Hence the original question. If the engine on the Honda generator is running, but nothing is coming out, usually the Honda generator is in the overload state, and has to be reset. The only way to prevent an overload is to limit the demand on the generator.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.