Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2009

bhcva is on a distinguished road
I asked because I know that my batteries are not up to snuff, but I don't know just how bad they are. We are hours away from the boat, so it's difficult to find the time to let the batteries come up to full charge then rest for 12/24 hours then let them drain at the recommended rate, etc. As I read the original statement as to float normally being at 13.6 I looked up and saw 13.3 on my link 2000R and wondered what sort of measure that might provide. I did notice a few days later after a sail and being plugged into the dock again, that the float again settled at 13.3.

The batteries are t-105s...four of them about five years old.

Thanks for the replies.

Bruce
Old 07-29-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Does the charger have a temperature probe connected to the batteries?

If I lived hours from the boat I would have a mechanic stop by and do a load test. He will be able to see of the batteries behave normally under a load.

I'd say the float voltage has more to do with your charger than your batteries, unless they are really really bad.

Since you have a battery monitor you should be able to run the batteries down to 60% or so and then look at the voltage (after resting for a while). If the voltage is below what the tables say then your batteries are on their way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2009

bhcva is on a distinguished road
Steve....
After a long weekend on the boat and re-reading the Heart 10 manual, the float (and accept) voltage is a function of temperature and what I was seeing was pretty much spot on according to their chart.

I did get to run a short load test....drawing 30% out of the batteries with a 5% load (440ah T-105s) stopping for short rest at 3 points. The voltage readings at those points were about 22 ah (5%) low. I had thought the batteries were in worse shape. Perhaps if I had had the time to go down to 60% I would have seen much worse performance?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 08-03-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Based on the numbers you provided, I think your batteries are doing alright. Pulling them down a bit further and then waiting longer to look at the resting voltage would have been a more rigorous test. I'd just keep an eye on them at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.