Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-10-2009

pshearing is on a distinguished road
AGM Battery brands - any feedback?

Hi,

I'm looking to switch over to AGMs (one 4D and two 8Ds) and I'm considering a number of different brands including East Penn, Lifeline, and Energy1. Are there any other out there to consider and does anyone have any good or bad feedback on them.

Thanks

Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well of course, one of the premium manufacturers is Trojan and the new Odysseys would be my choice if outfitting a boat for cruising today given their superior charge/discharge qualities over everything else. They do NOT make an 8D...they make a PC2250 which can be parralleled for 8D size/performance but is lighter for handling. They also make a rack mount with 8D type spec...the PC1800 which might be of interest to you.

May I ask...why the 4D? Is that being considered for space reasons or are you planning to use it for starting? 4D's are TYPICALLY not great deep cycle batteries as they tend to be made for dual use purposes/construction.

Also...why are you going for AGM? I'm a fan but ONLY in certain circumstances like full time cruising or space/orientation needs etc.
They tend to get fried by long term dockside float charging.
What is your daily use and how will they be charged?

The Odysseys can be found at Odyssey Batteries
Nigel Calder did a great write up on their unique construction and performance in Professional Boat Builder in spring 2008.
I owned a bank of east penn 4x8D's and was well satisfied with their performance in full time cruising.
I am a bit skeptical of the lifelines as there are too many people that seem to have had poor results...some people swear by them though.
I have seen nothing but positive reviews on the Northstars...though they do not make an 8D.
Old 08-11-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
I have had 3 Lifeline house and 1 starter battery for 2 years now and no issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 08-12-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
They [AGM batteries] tend to get fried by long term dockside float charging.
I'm interested in your observation (quoted). Will you expand on it a bit. My own experience and knowledge does not conform with that trait.

v/r
Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 08-12-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: quote ref
Old 08-12-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
They [AGM batteries] tend to get fried by long term dockside float charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
I'm interested in your observation (quoted). Will you expand on it a bit. My own experience and knowledge does not conform with that trait.

v/r
Wayne
That doesn't really make sense since many of these batteries are used in Telco environments where they sit at float voltages 24/7 for most of their life. Maybe the comment really meant 'long term dockside improper float charging'

Paul L
Old 08-12-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have been using Lifelines for several years - 4D's. I have had no issues. I would buy them again, but would also look a tthe Odysseys.

Get ready to pull out your credit card on the Lifelines. They are quite expensive.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-12-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
That doesn't really make sense since many of these batteries [AGM] are used in Telco environments where they sit at float voltages 24/7 for most of their life. Maybe the comment really meant 'long term dockside improper float charging'

Paul L
Paul.

Agree! If the original comment was meant to include the word improper - then it could just as well have been applied to any and all other type of battery as well.

I float charge my own 630 Ah Lifeline AGM battery bank and have for six years of use. More importantly, I have it on specific recommendation from both the battery manufacturer as well as the charger manufacturer.

camaraderie,

"4D's are TYPICALLY not great deep cycle batteries as they tend to be made for dual use purposes/construction". Will you expand on this too please? My own are 4D size and very much deep cycle - at least according to the manufacturer as well as my own experience.

Wayne
Old 08-12-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'm excited about those Odyssey's, but still concerned about alternator wear and tear due to the unique recharging requirements of the new technology. We had the opportunity to buy these when we did our wholesale battery replacement in February but decided to hold off until others took the plunge first. We ended up going with Mastervolt Slimline AGM's - two of them fit in the space of an 8D and have 400AH. The jury is still out on them from my perspective.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-12-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have 6 Lifeline 6volt AGMs and have for 1 year now with no complaints. Big advantage is their footprint is smaller than most other 6 volt

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner