Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-15-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Battery Monitor - One Bank or Two?

Hi all, I am looking at installing a battery monitor for my two deep-cycle house batteries and my two starting bank batteries. My question is this, should I get a monitor that reads both banks? I know that normally the starting bank is topped off as soon as the motor starts and runs for a bit. And I have read here that some feel that you don't really have to monitor the starting bank for that reason. There is a bit of difference in price between the single bank and dual bank monitors. I am looking at the Victron BMV 602 or 600.

Any comments?

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I am just learning about all this myself but yes that is my understanding..each separate bank is monitored separately not each battery in each bank..Something like a link 20 would suit you well or a link Pro like I have.

Also what type of charger do you have? most now have a remote monitor that is an easy plug in installation for just monitoring battery condition...My truecharge 40 has a remote readout for two banks...They are cheaper as well.

We will be learning togather.

Bill I reread your post ..sorry for the kindergartner answer...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-15-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Clarification

Hi, let me add some info to clarify my earlier question. I have a new Xantrex Truecharge 2 40 amp charger. When I bought it all the info on the net said a remote monitor would be abvailable by mid-2009. Now I can't seem to find even any reference to the remote monitor. So I don't know if they have scrapped the idea or what. On my recent overnight trip, I found myself wondering about the condition of my house batteries. When I returned to the dock, the charger barely registered above 5% charging rate, so I assume that my house batteries were still pretty full. Anyway, I just want to be able to monitor them as to condition and draw.

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 08-15-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Something like a link 20 would suit you well or a link Pro like I have.
The victron from the info on the website looks a little fundamental and doesn't appear to have all the features of a Xantrex unit but that could just be the way it is presented. It could also be a whole lot more affordable and then of course it depends on what you need.

I have a Xantrex Link 20 which monitors both banks and the reason I want to monitor my start bank is because it also has in the same circuit the battery for my windlass (mounted up front). The last thing I want is to kill my start bank using the windlass and not know it. All it needs is one dodgy battery . . .

A friend has the Xantrex Link 2000 which he bought because he has different power sources (2 x alts, wind genny, solar panels) which he can monitor independantly coming into two banks and the Link20 won't handle that.

So I guess it's what you need that matters but certainly a decent monitoring system provides great peace of mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-15-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If your start battery(s) are only used to start the engine I don't think any more than rudimentary monitoring is necessary (voltmeter). By the way you do not need 2 12 volt start batteries as starting only uses about 1 amp/hour or less. A bit of a waste of a good battery. Better to combine the extra start battery with house bank if it is the same type. Some monitors such as Xantrex Linklite only measure voltage on start (2nd) battery. Some like my Link 10 are one bank only so I have a separate voltmeter for start battery. If you send all charging sources to house bank and use an Echocharge or similar to take care of the start battery's minimal needs I think I'd go with a less expensive one bank monitor. What you save could buy an Echocharge. Your Xantrex charger is 40 amp total, or 20 amps to each of 2 banks. No need to waste half its output on a battery that has very minor needs in my opinion. Also best to send all charge sources to house direct and not through switch as that is confusing and can lead to either not charging one bank or blown diodes if it is turned to "off" while the engine is running.
Brian
Old 08-15-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Here ya go Bill..this is where I ordered mine along with my bat.temp Monitor...I cant find one in the Sailnet store.

Xantrex T20-DP - Truecharge 20 Battery Charger Display Panel

Always like your posts Andri

Edit...BOY Im not doing very well on this thread...They are avalibal right here at sail net afterall.

http://shop.sailnet.com/index.php?category=Electrical|wire.jpg&level=2&sub_category=Xantrex Battery Chargers|xantrexchargersCAT.gif

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-15-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi, let me add some info to clarify my earlier question. I have a new Xantrex Truecharge 2 40 amp charger. When I bought it all the info on the net said a remote monitor would be abvailable by mid-2009. Now I can't seem to find even any reference to the remote monitor. So I don't know if they have scrapped the idea or what. On my recent overnight trip, I found myself wondering about the condition of my house batteries. When I returned to the dock, the charger barely registered above 5% charging rate, so I assume that my house batteries were still pretty full. Anyway, I just want to be able to monitor them as to condition and draw.

Thanks, Bill
The remote monitor was available in 2008 actually, I have that setup. WM can order it for you and I think Defender carries it...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 08-15-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I am not sure that the panel you are looking at works with the new Truecharge 2 chargers. I have a Truecharge 2 40 charger like Montivideo.They were supoosed to make one specifically for them with a telephone jack plug in into the charger. Is that the case with the Infinity or is it for the older model Truecharge 20 and 40.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-16-2009
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I am not sure that the panel you are looking at works with the new Truecharge 2 chargers. I have a Truecharge 2 40 charger like Montivideo.They were supoosed to make one specifically for them with a telephone jack plug in into the charger. Is that the case with the Infinity or is it for the older model Truecharge 20 and 40.

Dave
Dave: it's the phone jack type..simple plug in..good to go instalation.

This is a picture of a 20...I have a 40...not any real design differances. If his looks like this it will plug right in.

For some reaso I cant post pictures ..tells me I dont have permission....Go Figure??

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-16-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry about monitoring the start bank only your deep cycle bank. Home solar and wind energy projects are puttijng affordable monitors on the market. An inexpensive smart amp-hour monitor for a single battery bank is the TriMetric by Bogart Engineering. You can Google them and they have a lot of info about how to use the monitor to help in deciding if it's worth it.