SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Fresh-water pump issues (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/57268-fresh-water-pump-issues.html)

PolarisOne 08-20-2009 07:57 PM

Fresh-water pump issues

I am dealing with a frustrating electical issue related to my fresh water pump. This is on a Beneteau 473 with a Shurflow smart sensor 5.7 gph pump.

Earlier this season the pump started running on after any of the taps were shut off (two seasons on new pump)....it got worse and worse and after cleaning the pump and isolating the outflow hose and making sure I didn't have a leak somewhere in the system and getting really tired of having to turn the water pressure circuit breaker on every time I used the pressure water, I bought a new pump and everything seemed perfect until I used the shower in the forward head. Using water in any of the sinks was without problem, but using the shower the breaker would pop.....I changed the breaker and checked the power lead to the pump....no change, the breaker still pops repeatedly....I run the water at the sinks and it works fine without tripping the switch/breaker. Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions? Very strange. I guess the shower water flow is higher than for the sinks, but it doesn't show a higher draw when the shower is on..on the link battery monitor.

Thanks, John

brdman707 08-21-2009 11:08 AM

Hello John,
A couple of thoughts come to mind:
1. Have you checked to see that your system is purged of all air? A volume of (compressible) air in the system will force the pump to operate for a time after all taps are shut to rebuild the system pressure.
2. Could the problem with the shower be related to your water heating system? You might try running the shower with cold water only to see if you get the same results.
3. Try disconnecting the pump outlet hose and measure the pump current draw in a free-flow condition. Compare with the rated current draw of the pump. If too high, the pump could be defective.

Good Luck!
-Jay

wwilson 08-21-2009 11:58 AM

John,

A tough set of symptoms that make a diagnosis difficult. But you already knew that. We need Dr. House here.

I second all that Jay recommended. Also, the run-on pump can be a symptom of a failing diaphragm within the accumulator tank. You may need to check that too. (I'm not sure whether or not your Shurflow smart sensor pump is a VSD or not.)

A couple seasons ago I replaced my water pump (perfectly good) and accumulator tank (failed) with a new VSD pump that does not require an accumulator tank. We have been very happy for that change!

Wayne

donradclife 08-21-2009 12:54 PM

A pump can run on when it is picking up air in the intake.

Your pump draws quite a bit of power-the specs say 12 amps, but it could surge above that--what size breaker did you replace?

timebandit 08-21-2009 01:14 PM

How about this

If you have a 10A cb and a 12A load it is your cb.

If you have a 30A cb and you are poping it then you have a new BAD pump.

The old pump most likely had a bad pressure shut off switch.