Lightning Grounding an Iron Keel? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-03-2009 Thread Starter
Reward for lost Kraken!

Lightning Grounding an Iron Keel?

What's anyone done with lightning grounding to a conventional (NOT ENCAPSULATED) iron keel? There's fairing and barier coat and bottom paint over the bare cast iron, so we were thinking that a conventional ground from the mast base to the keel bolts might be great--except for blowing all that expensive coating off the keel and letting it start rusting again. There's no way that will take a strike without the need for a haul & strip & recoat at "UGH" dollars per gallon.

Would you try to strip some of the keel, and recoat it with something conductive, like just zinc galvanizing paint? Or install real bronze ground plates,not Dynaplates, but solid grounding plates?

Has anyone taken a strike with any of these setups, and have any comments on how well it did or didn't work?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-03-2009

Grounding

My neighbors 50'Benny got hit a few days ago. He is a NASA engineer, and has every grounding thing you can get. This is the second time for him in five years to get hit. Don't know how much damage was done this time, but the last time it took almost a year to get everything fixed, which included pulling the keel. I don't think any of the grounding stuff helps much. I have seen studies that read both ways. It is more like when it's your turn, it's your turn.

Dream like you will live forever. Live like you will die tomorrow. ( James Dean )
post #3 of 3 Old 09-03-2009 Thread Starter
Reward for lost Kraken!

I'm not questioning turns, damage, or effectiveness.

I'm just asking what's more suitable for an iron keel, and less likely to blow all the keel coatings off of it, than conventional keel grounding.

The alternative would be to get a real body shop man, the kind that worked with hot solder before "plastic" was used for sheet metal repairs, and then fair a nice zinc coat over the keel and smooth that down, I supposed. But that would be a non-trivial project, and the body men who know how to do that work usually are found under a Rolls or other top brand name, only.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.